When seeking a diagnosis is it essential to have input from someone who knew me in childhood?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous question. I got looks of helpful answers.

My next question is about having an assessment. 

I have read that assessments ask for information from someone who knew me when I was a child. My problem is that I can't think of anyone who I could ask to do this. There are reasons why I don't not think either of my parents would be suitable options.

Is it a necessary part of an assessment for diagnosis to have information from someone who knew me in childhood? Is it even worth bothering asking my GP about seeking diagnosis if I know that when they ask me about this I already know there is no one to ask?

Parents
  • Hi Don

I hope it is not necessary for a family member to take part. I asked my mum a while ago and she said I did do strange things when I was younger but she couldn’t remember. I love my mum dearly but understand she doesn’t want any part of it. Cannot ask my dad as he had an aneurysm and stroke a few years ago and although he is fine I don’t think he would handle it very well. My wife is also out of the question as she prefers to pretend everything is okay but still calls me weird and strange all the time. 
    I have my Gp appointment to ask for a referral under the right to choose this week. I have done lots of online tests, kept a journal for over a year, recorded everything I struggle with and got my therapist to do a bit of an evaluation and letter for me. I’m hoping that will be enough or else I’m going to pay an actor or actress to pretend to be my parents. 

I didn’t mean that last bit. 

I say if you need a diagnosis then go for it and like others said try and put some work in to strengthen your case. 

Good luck 

• Hi Don

I hope it is not necessary for a family member to take part. I asked my mum a while ago and she said I did do strange things when I was younger but she couldn’t remember. I love my mum dearly but understand she doesn’t want any part of it. Cannot ask my dad as he had an aneurysm and stroke a few years ago and although he is fine I don’t think he would handle it very well. My wife is also out of the question as she prefers to pretend everything is okay but still calls me weird and strange all the time. 
    I have my Gp appointment to ask for a referral under the right to choose this week. I have done lots of online tests, kept a journal for over a year, recorded everything I struggle with and got my therapist to do a bit of an evaluation and letter for me. I’m hoping that will be enough or else I’m going to pay an actor or actress to pretend to be my parents. 

I didn’t mean that last bit. 

I say if you need a diagnosis then go for it and like others said try and put some work in to strengthen your case. 

Good luck 

Children