When seeking a diagnosis is it essential to have input from someone who knew me in childhood?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous question. I got looks of helpful answers.

My next question is about having an assessment. 

I have read that assessments ask for information from someone who knew me when I was a child. My problem is that I can't think of anyone who I could ask to do this. There are reasons why I don't not think either of my parents would be suitable options.

Is it a necessary part of an assessment for diagnosis to have information from someone who knew me in childhood? Is it even worth bothering asking my GP about seeking diagnosis if I know that when they ask me about this I already know there is no one to ask?

Parents
  • Whether they want it will depend on their particular assessment protocol. I had the type which is largely based on observations. I felt unable to ask my family but asked my best friend (who has known me since I was late teens) to fill in the observation forms. I also asked my college tutor (who has also known me for nearly 20 years) to write a statement. I also provided quotes from my school reports. The assessors said they wouldn't normally be able to give a diagnosis without family involvement but made the exception because I had provided extra evidence and clearly explained my reasoning for not wanting my family involved. 

• I know that this is easier said than done, but if an assessor says that they can't do without someone who knew you from childhood, then maybe (in the UK) you should invoke right to choose and change to someone who can. Their inability to do without is their limitation and doesn't mean that it can't be done.

• I know that this is easier said than done, but if an assessor says that they can't do without someone who knew you from childhood, then maybe (in the UK) you should invoke right to choose and change to someone who can. Their inability to do without is their limitation and doesn't mean that it can't be done.

Children
No Data