When seeking a diagnosis is it essential to have input from someone who knew me in childhood?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous question. I got looks of helpful answers.

My next question is about having an assessment. 

I have read that assessments ask for information from someone who knew me when I was a child. My problem is that I can't think of anyone who I could ask to do this. There are reasons why I don't not think either of my parents would be suitable options.

Is it a necessary part of an assessment for diagnosis to have information from someone who knew me in childhood? Is it even worth bothering asking my GP about seeking diagnosis if I know that when they ask me about this I already know there is no one to ask?

Parents
  • I wasn't asked for this, which is just as well as there is no one, I have no siblings and didn't come from a close family so there are no cousins or anything. I think it's ridiculous to ask this from older adults, we may genuinely have no one we know from childhood, our parents may be dead, likewise grandparents. We no longer live in the same places we were born, everybody moves about and people lose touch with eachother. I think this is all part of a myth in a lot of medical thinking, that everybody has loads of relatives and friends who are all close and loving, and no one gets scapegoated, no one moves away, it's all very Enid Blyton and wrong.

• I wasn't asked for this, which is just as well as there is no one, I have no siblings and didn't come from a close family so there are no cousins or anything. I think it's ridiculous to ask this from older adults, we may genuinely have no one we know from childhood, our parents may be dead, likewise grandparents. We no longer live in the same places we were born, everybody moves about and people lose touch with eachother. I think this is all part of a myth in a lot of medical thinking, that everybody has loads of relatives and friends who are all close and loving, and no one gets scapegoated, no one moves away, it's all very Enid Blyton and wrong.

Children
No Data