Panic Flying

I've just arrived home from a short holiday to Portugal. I've not been on holiday for nearly 10 years so I have been in a near panic attack state for about a month.

Proud I did it, but my god was it hard to make myself live through the flights each way. I find being in confined spaces, with loads of strangers, limited toilet access, and random goings on, really anxiety inducing.

Id love to open up more and be able to travel, for my family as much as myself.

Anyone else feel the same about flying? How do you manage it?

Parents
  • Anyone else feel the same about flying? How do you manage it?

I have a love-hate relationship with flying. I get excited and love the "flyingness of it all", including the wonder of flight, the beautiful planes, the views from the plane window, the magic of walking onto the plane in one country and walking out of the door into an entirely different place. But I also find it scary and stressful, including for the reasons you mention.

I wear noise cancelling headphones throughout, including for listening to in-flight entertainment, but also just for reducing the noise the rest of the time. Thankfully, these days - with wireless, Bluetooth-equipped ones - I can get up and move around the plane without needing to take them off. I also often prefer to read my Kindle rather than watch the available films or programmes (I can get lost in a book more easily, and I don't enjoy watching films on a small screen,  with poor sound quality). Flights are also among the limited number of situations in which I take my GP-prescribed anti-anxiety medication (which I only use sparingly, as directed).

I haven't travelled since just before COVID hit, but I do intend to take advantage of the assistance options when I next fly. 

This NAS article offers advice for autistic adults about going on holiday, including about getting help at the airport:

NAS - Holidays – guide for autistic adults

The UK's Civil Aviation Authority also has lots of information about air travel, including how to access special assistance:

Civil Aviation Authority - Passenger and Public

If you don't already have one, you might like to buy a Hidden Disabilities sunflower card and lanyard (customised versions are also available, featuring a photo along with flagging your main areas of need):

Hidden Disabilities - Shop

Hidden Disabilities - Airports around the world

• Anyone else feel the same about flying? How do you manage it?

I have a love-hate relationship with flying. I get excited and love the "flyingness of it all", including the wonder of flight, the beautiful planes, the views from the plane window, the magic of walking onto the plane in one country and walking out of the door into an entirely different place. But I also find it scary and stressful, including for the reasons you mention.

I wear noise cancelling headphones throughout, including for listening to in-flight entertainment, but also just for reducing the noise the rest of the time. Thankfully, these days - with wireless, Bluetooth-equipped ones - I can get up and move around the plane without needing to take them off. I also often prefer to read my Kindle rather than watch the available films or programmes (I can get lost in a book more easily, and I don't enjoy watching films on a small screen,  with poor sound quality). Flights are also among the limited number of situations in which I take my GP-prescribed anti-anxiety medication (which I only use sparingly, as directed).

I haven't travelled since just before COVID hit, but I do intend to take advantage of the assistance options when I next fly. 

This NAS article offers advice for autistic adults about going on holiday, including about getting help at the airport:

NAS - Holidays – guide for autistic adults

The UK's Civil Aviation Authority also has lots of information about air travel, including how to access special assistance:

Civil Aviation Authority - Passenger and Public

If you don't already have one, you might like to buy a Hidden Disabilities sunflower card and lanyard (customised versions are also available, featuring a photo along with flagging your main areas of need):

Hidden Disabilities - Shop

Hidden Disabilities - Airports around the world

Children
No Data