Late diagnosis and 'The Label'

At 55 and menopausal, I've just received my autism diagnosis. I'm also likely have ADHD but am not yet diagnosed. So far, my husband and brother are the only ones that know - my husband because he lives with me and all my moods, and my brother because he once wondered if he was autistic too. 

I am in the process of informing myself about this. However, first and foremost, I am struggling with the label 'autistic'. I've always had a trouble with labels (from 'loser' in my school years to 'she's an odd one' later on). Thankfully, my parents avoided the 'she's the clever/odd/pretty one' sort of categorization I've heard others use, so I've been free to define myself. They've just accepted me for who I am.

However, it now feels like I've got a big fat label stuck to my forehead. It oversimplifies the complex creature I feel myself to be - good, bad and indifferent combined. I don't want to be dealt with through this prism of understanding, the 'She's autistic, so that explains why she's overemotional/analytical/socially awkward/reserved/overly blunt' sort of thinking.

I now realize that I am suffering from autism burnout, but don't want to use that as an excuse for the meltdowns I've had. I don't want to have to explain who I am, which is just as exhausting as pretending I'm okay. Oversharing has consequences, I have found. 

Your thoughts would be most welcome. 

Parents
  • Congratulations on your diagnosis and welcome to the community!

The NAS has some great resources for those of us who've recently been diagnosed, which you might find helpful. They include:

• How will I feel after receiving an autism diagnosis
    • Talking about and disclosing your autism
    • Emotional support for family members after a diagnosis
    • Formal support following diagnosis

NAS - After diagnosis

There's also some good info and advice here about fatigue, which you might also find interesting:

NAS - Autistic fatigue and burnout

• Congratulations on your diagnosis and welcome to the community!

The NAS has some great resources for those of us who've recently been diagnosed, which you might find helpful. They include:

• How will I feel after receiving an autism diagnosis
    • Talking about and disclosing your autism
    • Emotional support for family members after a diagnosis
    • Formal support following diagnosis

NAS - After diagnosis

There's also some good info and advice here about fatigue, which you might also find interesting:

NAS - Autistic fatigue and burnout

Children
No Data