Advice for adult relationships?

Not yet diagnosed, but on the waiting list.

Currently struggling with just ‘coasting’ in my relationship of 4 years and wondering if it’s an autistic trait and if so, are there any management techniques?

I can't come to a decision about the future, even though I love my partner, and they're struggling with the lack of commitment.

Are there any other common issues in relationships to look out for (this is my first serious one) and management strategies for these?

Parents
  • The thing that is very familiar to me here is that decision making -even the most inconsequential things- can be very stressful. What if I get it wrong? I'm much more comfortable with facts, data and certainty, but human relationships don't work that way. Aside from the suggestions that have already been made, you might consider breaking the problem down? What are the possibilities (what does your partner want) and what are you afraid/concerned by. Also, what are the advantages. I agree that, once you've got this worked out for yourself you should discuss it. That may be an unsettling prospect but I think dialogue is really important for a good relationship, especially if you have different neurotypes. It may also help them understand where you're coming from better. Hope that helps.

• My partner is neurospicy too, but suspected ADHD and confirmed dyslexic.
    Thank you for your help.

Reply Children