I’m so unhappy in my job

I’m autistic and 43 YOand after a burnout 6 months ago, I’m back in the role that I have been in for 18 years. Since the burnout I have been unable to mask, but I’m also finding that I am struggling to do the actual job which is working with data at a senior level. Everything that made sense before doesn’t make sense. Numbers are jumbled, words are hard to comprehend. It feels like I can no longer do the job or even want to. All adaptions are in place, I’m just not happy there anymore. I have no idea where to even start looking for another job. Who’s going to want me now. Sorry my words aren’t very articulate tonight. 

Parents
  • Hope you are able to find a solution. To be honest, it takes as least twice as long as it feels to recover from burnout, and if one keeps pushing, one can get burnout after burnout as I have done, and each one hits harder than the one before! The issue is that people can underestimate how hard hitting burnouts can be and how long it takes to recover. As I had no help and they kept repeating (No ones fault as I could not go to a doctor or samaritans or anyone to get help as I could not explain to anyone in words what I was going through). 

Advice...

The path I chose took me into poverty but the only route I had open to me was to hand in my notice and go without an income for a year before I could get another job when I eas ready. (I wasn't allowed to sign on for the first six months as I left job of my own accord... (Even though technically I had no choice due to mental issues associated with burnout)... And the next six months I wasnt allowed to sign on because I was not fit to work... Was told to see doctor, but doctor would not issue sick note without a reason and I could never explain as I disn't know what was wrong with me... Back then it was only on the last and most severe burnout (More like a breakdown) that I knew about autism and the term "Burnout". Felt something snap within me and at one point, forgot how to walk and had to teach myself again there and then! 

BUT, fortunately in the last burnout I got help. Saw the autism team on an open day as I was already on the long waiting list to be assessed. They were able to ask the right questions which opened up my ability to talk, and they contacted my doctor who gave me a sick note. Was still another month and a half to get the help to actually claim universal credit as I can't do online forms! Was about to chuck the sicknote out of frustration now it has all gone online! (A lady who used to work for Mind did the online part for me, so I was able to get which has now gone up to £380 a month in benefits to survive. (I can't work at the moment, as daily I hit internal stress... Today almost had a major shutdown as Mum can't walk and I can only cope with small shops... Means I don't know what to do in future as to walk from a carpark to a shop while half shutdown, and then try and go in to buy stuff is getting impossible!)).

But anyway!  How to improve...!  The only remedy I have comes across is time away from the work. 

Sometimes a change helps. I went from job to job throughout the first 15+ years of my working life as I hit burnout (Without knowing it was), would form cracks in my ability to mask, became mentally "Fragile", so I made excuses, handed in my notice, took a month or two off before even trying to find work again and then looked for another job and the cycle repeated again!

But anyway...!  The best approach is to take a long term break. 

• Hope you are able to find a solution. To be honest, it takes as least twice as long as it feels to recover from burnout, and if one keeps pushing, one can get burnout after burnout as I have done, and each one hits harder than the one before! The issue is that people can underestimate how hard hitting burnouts can be and how long it takes to recover. As I had no help and they kept repeating (No ones fault as I could not go to a doctor or samaritans or anyone to get help as I could not explain to anyone in words what I was going through). 

Advice...

The path I chose took me into poverty but the only route I had open to me was to hand in my notice and go without an income for a year before I could get another job when I eas ready. (I wasn't allowed to sign on for the first six months as I left job of my own accord... (Even though technically I had no choice due to mental issues associated with burnout)... And the next six months I wasnt allowed to sign on because I was not fit to work... Was told to see doctor, but doctor would not issue sick note without a reason and I could never explain as I disn't know what was wrong with me... Back then it was only on the last and most severe burnout (More like a breakdown) that I knew about autism and the term "Burnout". Felt something snap within me and at one point, forgot how to walk and had to teach myself again there and then! 

BUT, fortunately in the last burnout I got help. Saw the autism team on an open day as I was already on the long waiting list to be assessed. They were able to ask the right questions which opened up my ability to talk, and they contacted my doctor who gave me a sick note. Was still another month and a half to get the help to actually claim universal credit as I can't do online forms! Was about to chuck the sicknote out of frustration now it has all gone online! (A lady who used to work for Mind did the online part for me, so I was able to get which has now gone up to £380 a month in benefits to survive. (I can't work at the moment, as daily I hit internal stress... Today almost had a major shutdown as Mum can't walk and I can only cope with small shops... Means I don't know what to do in future as to walk from a carpark to a shop while half shutdown, and then try and go in to buy stuff is getting impossible!)).

But anyway!  How to improve...!  The only remedy I have comes across is time away from the work. 

Sometimes a change helps. I went from job to job throughout the first 15+ years of my working life as I hit burnout (Without knowing it was), would form cracks in my ability to mask, became mentally "Fragile", so I made excuses, handed in my notice, took a month or two off before even trying to find work again and then looked for another job and the cycle repeated again!

But anyway...!  The best approach is to take a long term break. 

Children
No Data