I’m so unhappy in my job

I’m autistic and 43 YOand after a burnout 6 months ago, I’m back in the role that I have been in for 18 years. Since the burnout I have been unable to mask, but I’m also finding that I am struggling to do the actual job which is working with data at a senior level. Everything that made sense before doesn’t make sense. Numbers are jumbled, words are hard to comprehend. It feels like I can no longer do the job or even want to. All adaptions are in place, I’m just not happy there anymore. I have no idea where to even start looking for another job. Who’s going to want me now. Sorry my words aren’t very articulate tonight. 

Parents
  • Who’s going to want me now.

You have 18 years of prior work experience. Do you have any idea as to how rare that is among people with autism? I'm in the United States. Employment rates over here for people with autism hover at 22% which is HALF the rate of other people with disabilities. 

Since the burnout I have been unable to mask

Yeah, I get that. I was a teacher for 32 years. I got to the point where I just couldn't put up with bad student behavior anymore. For me this was professional burnout, not autistic burnout. I retain the ability to mask but have gotten to the point where I'd rather be semi-retired and self-employed (by writing children's books) instead of having a job where I have to interact with multiple people on a daily basis. 

I have no idea where to even start looking for another job. 

Are you looking for the same type of job but with a different employer or for a different job entirely. In the States, I've liked using Indeed.com. Indeed has a UK version. Click here

• Who’s going to want me now.

You have 18 years of prior work experience. Do you have any idea as to how rare that is among people with autism? I'm in the United States. Employment rates over here for people with autism hover at 22% which is HALF the rate of other people with disabilities. 

Since the burnout I have been unable to mask

Yeah, I get that. I was a teacher for 32 years. I got to the point where I just couldn't put up with bad student behavior anymore. For me this was professional burnout, not autistic burnout. I retain the ability to mask but have gotten to the point where I'd rather be semi-retired and self-employed (by writing children's books) instead of having a job where I have to interact with multiple people on a daily basis. 

I have no idea where to even start looking for another job. 

Are you looking for the same type of job but with a different employer or for a different job entirely. In the States, I've liked using Indeed.com. Indeed has a UK version. Click here

Children
No Data