Social encounters

Hi, 

I have recently discovered I am autistic and currently awaiting a medical diagnosis. Since discovering I am autistic I have become really aware of how uncomfortable and awkward i feel in social situations even with my closest friends. For example holding eye contact or knowing when to laugh or what to say feels like such hard work. This mentally drains me and i feel embarrassed when i'm then on my own as i overthink how i've acted and it causes me severe upset. I am also diagnosed with depression and anxiety so this really doesn't help which leads me to then just wanting to spend more time alone in my room as i don't want to have to deal with communicating with others. 

Does anyone have any advice or tips/hacks for making social interactions less painful? Or any other general advice for a newly diagnosed autistic adult (F21) 

Thank you in advance Slight smile

Parents
  • All I can think to say is that this is normal for us and you are not alone.

Only tip for eye contact that I have is to look at the bridge of the nose because it looks the same to them. (This is masking, but I am not personally against masking completely)

• All I can think to say is that this is normal for us and you are not alone.

Only tip for eye contact that I have is to look at the bridge of the nose because it looks the same to them. (This is masking, but I am not personally against masking completely)

Children