I really don’t get this

Hey guys I don’t get this I have went to autism groups for years and it is literally impossible to make friends with someone with autism. I have a friend who is autistic but they don’t even feel like a friend. Conversations are all one way my way. They just have generic responses to everything they have no opinions at all about anything. I find this really boring to be honest I want friends that will have an opinion and disagree with me now and again. Is this common for autistic people to be like this? I don’t know why I am not like that? I have opinions about everything and anything. I attended my autism group for the last time last week and it was a very strange experience indeed. I felt a bit uncomfortable as some of the autistic folks there it seemed like they were staring at me coldly or something. Yeh it was really weird. Is this normal? I mean I feel like I only look at someone briefly then look away and think about what I am going to say then talk then look them in the eyes when they are talking but no this guy was straight up staring at me for some reason. I didn’t say anything because he probably didn’t mean it. It’s just the way he is I suppose. I don’t think he meant any harm. But it was kinda weird at the time. Then I knew another autistic person that just straight up ignored you and acts legit stupid all the time. Are they doing this because they don’t like me or is it because that’s just the way they are? Anyway I am done with autistic groups. Yall on here seem alright but I dunno it’s just like all the autistic people I meet in real life just come across as complete a**holes for some reason. Forgive me they could just be really anxious and not mean to act like an a**hole all the time. But how would I know because they never tell me that they are anxious instead they just act like this towards me all the time and it makes me angry. Any help helps?

Parents
  • I know exactly what you mean, I get the same thing, I'm not good at groups at the best of times and I have a tendency to blunder into situations where angels fear to tread. I find people afraid and uninterested in current affairs, I rarely watch the same tv as them, I refuse to go along with group think, I find I have very little in common with others, even when we share interests we don't seem to share the same bits.

Apparently I scare a lot of people because I'm tall and have pressence, I can and will talk about almost anything and will challenge opinions I disagree with, usually gently, but I can be quite firm when pushed. Men in particular don't seem to like this and their WAGS will side with them. I don't dress the same as others either, I don't wear make-up or gold jewelery, I dont' drink alcohol and I've not quite vegan.

I've never been to an ASC social group as most of them seem to be for much younger people than me, the only contact I had with the group that supports ASC people didn't listen and gaslit me. Being gaslit by being challenged about whether something happened or not when they weren't there really pee'd me off and made me not want to go back, it wasn't like it was anything major either, but just the fact that they felt it was OK put me off.

I also can't help that I'm intelligent, I refuse to hide it and don't see why I should. I'm also quite funny and make people laugh a lot, some people don't like that either, especially that I can banter really well as thats what I grew up with, sarcastic comments, backchat and extravagant descriptions. Although I think that's because were I grew up was a cultural melting pot and humour was how people rubbed along together, it's something I've noticed with other people who grew up in cultural melting pots.

• I identify with that a lot.

People hate the intelligent and see us as tall poppies who need to be brought down a peg or two.

• Don't they just, it's even worse being an intelligent woman as there are so many social prejudices.

I think Britain has an anti-intellectual bias at the best of times, but how is it in other countries?

• I can imagine.

I think elements of the old intellectual Britain still exist, but you just have to know where to look for those elements. Both online and offline.

Reply Children
No Data