Noise sensitivity - why has this started now?

Up until now, noise did not appear to bother me. Now, I am becoming more upset/triggered/bothered by noise. At work (teacher) I am fine, but at home, with two young and often noisy children, I am constantly on edge with noise. Today the noise almost pushed me into meltdown, but lying flat on the floor helped.

What makes this more baffling for me is I love spending spending time listening to loud music through headphones, which I am doing as I type!

Noises I actively dislike are motorbikes passing by, cars backfiring, high pitched noises, multiple conversations happing at once, to name but a few.

I never used to be like this. I am contemplating some earplugs, like Loops, to shut out the sound.

Parents
  • Tending to a classroom and listening to music are noises you choose to experience. Those other noises are outside of your control, and force their way into your awareness. It becomes a lot tougher to bear if you were already stressed. The other day I was feeling frustrated, and overheard my stepmother trying to get her dogs to settle down. Absolutely nothing offensive, but after the fourth time of "Right! Enough!", I was certainly having to keep my temper under control.

• Tending to a classroom and listening to music are noises you choose to experience. Those other noises are outside of your control, and force their way into your awareness. It becomes a lot tougher to bear if you were already stressed. The other day I was feeling frustrated, and overheard my stepmother trying to get her dogs to settle down. Absolutely nothing offensive, but after the fourth time of "Right! Enough!", I was certainly having to keep my temper under control.

Children
No Data