Experiences with finding and forming romantic relationships

Hi everyone!

Last week I received an advisory diagnosis at 31. I wanted to ask what people's experiences are with relationships.

Social cues are an area I struggle with, and I've found it very difficult to form romantic relationships.

I've never had a committed relationship; there have been a handful of short 'flings' (doesn't feel like the right word, but I'm not sure what the right word is), nothing longer than a couple of months, and not many of those. I have had a couple of opportunities to start real relationships, but they haven't felt quite right and I've backed away. The rare times I think I've found someone who things could work with, I have no idea what to do to make it happen, and what I do try tends not to work, whether that's attempting to be my true self, or trying to be more "normal" (the same goes for more casual interest).

I'm a straight man, and where things have happened for me, it's been a case of the woman involved deciding that she wants to make things happen before we've spoken much. If I realize this has happened, it then feels like walking a tightrope of trying not to mess things up by saying the wrong thing under pressure or being weird. Sometimes I manage this, but more often I don't!

I love female company, and I have very strong, long-term friendships with women. It bothers me that I'm able to form deep, reciprocal emotional connections, but when sex or emotional attraction are involved I become socially dysfunctional and it seems impossible. It's a difficult thing to find people to talk to about, because while relationships aren't a walk in the park for anyone, no one I know really has a similar story, and they care but can't quite understand why I find it so much harder than most people. I've learned over the years how to mask and leave people with the impression that things have gone better for me than they really have, which can make an individual conversation less embarrassing, but is ultimately a lonely experience.

It's been really comforting and validating reading about other people's experiences on here! I'd love to hear more from people about this, whether your experience is similar to mine or completely different. What are the challenges for you in finding and maintaining relationships? What strengths do you feel you can bring? Have you found strategies that help you manage better?

This is my first post. I'm looking forward to hearing from people and making friends! Thanks Slight smile

Parents
  • I know how you feel. I am 54 and married for nearly 20 years but still struggle. I had no idea about how you went from chatting one minuite to having sex the next , I had no clue. I only learnt that over time and experience. I tended to have a very low self worth and had no idea why any women would be attracted to me, ever. It took me to my thirties to work out what most people do in their teens. I always thought women were far more confident than me and had all the knowledge where I had none. They I worked out they were as confused as me. The whole relationship thing is just down to luck to be honest.

For me in my early 30's I was in a place when I needed to settle down, life just aligned. I did online dating, but it was VERY diffrent back then, you didn't tend to have time wasters on there, and people oftern didn't even have photos. My marriage isn't perfect but its 20 years next year. 

Rob

• Cheers Rob! This sounds quite familiar

Reply Children
No Data