When was the earliest time in your life that you remember feeling different from the majority?

Mine was when I started school. I remember sitting on a table with other children.  I felt happy enough but then they all started what felt like a word dance that I didn't know the steps to and couldn't join in with.  I remember feeling very alone and confused and panicky..  I mayve had my first shut down. Felt like i was in a washing machine and sound became a background thing. Suddenly couldn't understand them. That feeling still comes in a group of people. 

What was your experience?

Parents
  • I don't remember personally. My wife remembers starting primary school and being called retarded by the nuns. So, not only did she feel different, she was called out for being different. The irony about being called retarded was that, at age 5, she had taught herself to read without any assistance and could read fluently.

As for me, I was told a story about how I had come home early from school on my own (aged 5 or 6). The rest of the class had gone on a nature walk. If I stop and think about it, that indicates quite clearly that I was not part of the group.

• I don't remember personally. My wife remembers starting primary school and being called retarded by the nuns. So, not only did she feel different, she was called out for being different. The irony about being called retarded was that, at age 5, she had taught herself to read without any assistance and could read fluently.

As for me, I was told a story about how I had come home early from school on my own (aged 5 or 6). The rest of the class had gone on a nature walk. If I stop and think about it, that indicates quite clearly that I was not part of the group.

Children
No Data