Do you like or want to - work?

I have recently retired from work. It was long awaited and I have not missed the job at all ( the people I worked with were nice, but the job itself had become a mixture of stressful and tedious)

I have never particularly enjoyed working. I have got some sense of satisfaction from doing a job well during certain periods of my working life, but in most jobs I had there were people - mostly managers - who I really did not enjoy spending my days with. I get bored quickly and so jobs became mundane in a short period of time, and if I put myself forward to do higher level tasks (that I was capable of) I was either refused the role or ended up doing the higher level stuff without getting the extra pay for it. And I've suffered burn out from time to time due to the stress of work making me exhausted.

I know that a lot of autistic people are unable to work but would like to, and that many people get a sense of self worth from working and a better lifestyle (due to having wages) But I feel that society may over value work in some ways, and that maybe it programmes us to think that not working is lazy or unproductive? However there are some wealthy people who do little to no work and nobody calls them lazy. I heard a saying somewhere that I like: "we're human beings, not human doings". Perhaps that's a good answer next time someone asks - "so, what do you do?"

I just wondered what everyone's views were about working?

If you currently work, would you give up working if you became financially independent?

If you do not work but would like to, or want a career change, what would your dream job be?

If you do not work and have no wish to, or are retired or cannot work due to health reasons, how do you structure your days?

Parents
  • I do have a full-time job in a local council as a receptionist; for the most part the pros include better pay/benefits package, a proper work-life balance and also progressional opportunities and a supportive environment. I am however trying to look into a career as an art therapist as I don't feel office environments are for me. It is more so dealing with the general public (as most people come across very entitled).

I worked as an admin assistant in the care industry for 2 ½ years and I hated that job mainly due to toxic managers. I got on well with my colleagues (and still keep in touch occasionally) but the managers ran their company poorly and engaged in dodgy practices which put me off office work to be honest. I also feel offices can be stifling sometimes, I get fidgety on quiet days (although I like the chillness) when there isn't much going on.

Maybe this is just me, I don't like the modern working culture as there is a constant obsession for hustling 24/7. What doesn't help is that employers expect you to be available all the time (which I sadly experienced in my previous job above) and you have no time for yourself as everything revolves around work. I feel that your worth in society is measured based on job title and earnings. If you work in a corporate role, people respect you as you have access to better salaries and opportunities (particularly if you are in the council like myself or in the civil service depending). Minimum wage workers are looked down on and judged. If you are NEET or on benefits, the judgement is worse as people automatically assume you are a leech to society - you have no value if you don't work.

Another thing that bothers me is the lack of support for employees with disabilities, especially hidden ones like autism. If autistic it is difficult to disclose as an employer will instantly see you as a liability; coming from previous experience as someone who recruited, employers look to save money anyway they can and will mostly refuse to put in accommodations if they are required to pay out of pocket (although this doesn't directly relate to autism, I had an experience in my previous job where I was denied DSE equipment when my desk was inadequate for work as in their words, other people would complain if I had it). Even if you disclose, an employer can easily fire you and say you weren't a good culture fit. I don't blame autistic people for not wanting to work as most workplaces are rampant with bullying, office politics etc. You can't just do your work and get paid, you have to participate in the BS otherwise you risk being a target. In most cases, autistic people get shoved out of the workplace and become too traumatised to work.

Also, autistic people can easily be shoved into unsuitable jobs by the Job Centre (although I suppose it applies to everyone) - mainly zero hour jobs that expect you to do the work of 3 or more people for minimum wage. The work coaches mostly want to reduce their caseloads by shoving people into any old job to meet targets. 

• Government Jobs attract the Narcs, like flies to s**t! It's a perfect opportunity to abuse authority positions.

• It’s the same with supermarket management positions, they get a sick thrill out of abusing their power against workers and many “policies and procedures” and “ways of working” enable and encourage such behaviour, giving them a shield to hide behind, backed by the trade unions who have “partnership agreements” with many supermarket companies - if workers try to sue using their own solicitors via a private prosecution they can be then counter-sued for libel, defamation and slander by the supermarkets in bullying cases for example and this can even include police involvement as well as local councils and even bodies like the DWP - even the courts and the legal system is weighted in favour of supermarkets and trade unions against workers right from the start, making it virtually impossible to get justice or legal redress, all,of which makes for a totally corrupt system

• The Legacy of Blair's Regime!

Reply Children
No Data