Newly Diagnosed 30 year old - ASD report next steps

Hi all,

I received my ASD diagnosis (level 1) a couple of weeks ago and felt an immediate sense of validation and exhaustion. However, I received my report yesterday and it was quite shocking to see all my problems laid out in a 13 page document... 

I'm feeling better after some sleep but wondered if anyone had any tips for the next steps? I'm planning to print it out today and start working through it systematically. The resources seem ok but they are very unspecific (e.g. they haven't said you have X trait so Y resource would help). 

Parents
  • Congratulations on your autism diagnosis, and welcome to the community. 

I was appalled by my diagnostic report, which made me feel like a defective human being. However, if you've met one autism assessor, you've met one autism assessor - plenty of people have a positive assessment experience.

My number one tip would be to keep communicating with other autistic people, who have quite frankly rescued me.

• Congratulations on your autism diagnosis, and welcome to the community. 

I was appalled by my diagnostic report, which made me feel like a defective human being. However, if you've met one autism assessor, you've met one autism assessor - plenty of people have a positive assessment experience.

My number one tip would be to keep communicating with other autistic people, who have quite frankly rescued me.

Children
  • Many thanks, Neil! 

I certainly empathise with that. While I was feeling pretty self confident (generally) about myself and my diagnosis the report was a bit of a knock. While my assessor was nice, having all my difficulties listed out was quite jarring. Though, it is surprising how I could have ever questioned if I was Autistic!

Thank you for sharing, I'll definitely keep communicating with others. That's what brought me to this forum and I've been glad of the decision so far.