I don't feel the same as many of you

I feel like an outsider here, my experiences seem very diferent, my interests different, the things I do or don't do are different. The books I find helpful or not are different. Most of you seem like lovely people, so I'm not having a go at any of you, but I just feel like I don't really belong here with the rest of you, I don't feel like it's imposter syndrome, more like I stick out like a sore thumb because of some of the above. I feel like I'm irritating people because of my differences, here I feel almost as much of an outsider as I do in NT company.

Parents
  • I think there are an awful lot of people here who feel like that, myself included. 

Most of you seem like lovely people, so I'm not having a go at any of you, but I just feel like I don't really belong here with the rest of you, I don't feel like it's imposter syndrome, more like I stick out like a sore thumb because of some of the above. I feel like I'm irritating people because of my differences, here I feel almost as much of an outsider as I do in NT

I could easily have written that myself, but unlike yourself I am qualified by chromsomes & boomer upbringing to mansplain why you feel like that!

But I won't. Except  to point out that how we feel isn't neccesarily an indication of how we are wired. Feelings are complicated... 

There are people here who seem very like me, then suddenly they aren't. Believe it or not, you are one of those from my perspective, I do hope you do not find that bit of truth horrifying.. For example we both share a friend who we both find to be an outstandingly nice person...  

Part of autism seems to be well descibed in the character Small Dave the brenttofrd postman, and as much as we complain about the NT's pigeonholing us, we do it seems as a group have a tendancy towards Black and White thinking in the main, and few of us manage to get past that, even for short periods of time... 

It's VERY easy to feel like an alien here...  

• I go out of my way to make an impression, online. Like Howard stern, i might push some buttons here and there. But IRL i try to manage my self.

I'm an alien where ever I go. I am the man who fell to earth (Bowie) meets the....uh, t2000, or if i;m in a good mood, Jim Carrey. Andy Kaufman style whacko. Incidentally..They say Jim has ADHD and autism. I believe it.

I go off on tangents. People find that...problematic.

• I go out of my way to make an impression, online. Like Howard stern, i might push some buttons here and there. But IRL i try to manage my self.

I'm an alien where ever I go. I am the man who fell to earth (Bowie) meets the....uh, t2000, or if i;m in a good mood, Jim Carrey. Andy Kaufman style whacko. Incidentally..They say Jim has ADHD and autism. I believe it.

I go off on tangents. People find that...problematic.

Children
  • Oasis was the reason Nineties Kids appreciated the Music of the Sixties and Seventies

That and Stubborn parents who played elvis and the fab four and insisted they listen

• Oasis was the reason Nineties Kids appreciated the Music of the Sixties and Seventies. Slight smile

• Man on the Moon is a really great movie. I've not seen it for ages.  I love the song too and the band Rem in general.

Well, i must have seen it 20 years ago. I thought it was lackluster then. (JC from 93-98 was comedy and box office gold though) REM are alright, I know Oasis ripped them off on Morning Glory, stole a riff. REM is more a band i'd be into if i was clinically depressed tho, a little too, melancholic for my taste, and with my new found love of GNR, i'm growin averse to the whole alternative 80s band sound

• Man on the Moon is a really great movie. I've not seen it for ages.  I love the song too and the band Rem in general.

• I love Stern and Kaufman. Great guys.

I have such vast cultural knowledge, I really go into things. Yeah, those two are/were interests of mine at some point. Months ago, I watched the making of man on the moon documentary, unreleased footage of Jim Carrey on the set in what I presume to be Burbank. He was a total madman, and believed he was channeling the ghost of kaufman, he meets with kaufmans family and they are spellbound (spectators are divided on this) but some say he was just being extremely autistic and weird staying in character 24/7 and terrorizing everybody around him with his peculiar brand of 'method' and was total A-hole

It's interesting. JC is totally insane now, but an enlightened zen master or something, like Gary Busey.

• I love Stern and Kaufman. Great guys.