Don't remember my childhood

I'm recently diagnosed both adhd (in December) and autistic (3 weeks ago) and, while I can see my autistic traits as an adult, I really can't remember a huge amount in my childhood. I'm 49 so it's been a long time since I was even a teenager and my mum has been filling in a few things, but I really don't remember a lot. I remember social stuff, like only having a small group of friends and preferring to be in the library rather than out in a huge group, but I don't remember how anything made me feel. Like I don't remember any sensory issues or meltdowns or anything like that. My mum says I was quite an anxious kid and I would get upset about odd things, but I really don't remember any of it. Anyone else late diagnosed and understand this? It's really frustrating when I'm trying to piece everything together.

Parents Reply Children
  • You're welcome. I wish I'd felt the same way about the waiting time. Instead, after an initial eureka phase, I got progressively more stressed and depressed. Before my assessment, I also struggled with allowing myself the licence to look beyond the outcome (and also felt a bit superstitious about jinxing it), which - in hindsight - wasn't ideal.

I appreciate what you said about having had limited health-related contact. I should perhaps still just mention that, whilst my medical records also predate the electronic era, my GP still has all of the paper-based stuff going back all the way (held in offsite, archive storage, retrieved on request). Out of curiosity, I just checked and found that GPs in England have to keep them until 10 years after death. A cheery thought to end on! :)

• Thanks. I appreciate it. Actually, I'm not too bothered about the wait. I accept personally that I am neurodivergent and I am trying to work through what that means for me. Not having a label (yet) won't affect that too much. It should be useful eventually to have a diagnosis, as it may make communication with medical professionals a little easier at times.

With regard to childhood memories, my medical record won't help there. I'm old enough to predate electronic records. I'm pretty sure the paper records don't exist now and they wouldn't help a great deal, as I didn't have much contact with health professionals in my early years.