visual stimming

My nephew has recently been diagnosed with autism and he visually stims. This would not be an issue normally however, he does it when taking him out in the community which turns the whole experience in something very stressful and draining.

His visual stim consists of looking out of the corner of his eyes while he appears to follow lines while walking. he generally listens and pays attention if you show him something but he may refuse to change directions as he wants to follow on a particular path. We take him to safe places such as the park but this is not not always possible as he likes walking and refuses the buggy wherever we go. He is only 22 months.

He seems to do this at home not to often only when tired, feeling unwell or bored as he likes interacting with others.

I would welcome any advice as to how best to manage this or find a way to provide the same stimulation without the risk. 

Thank you

Parents
  • His visual stim consists of looking out of the corner of his eyes while he appears to follow lines while walking

How about a hat with blinkers (the bits that block the side view) to make him have to turn his head to see anything other than what is in front. This may stop the hyperfocus on the lines he is following when he cannot see anthing else.

Failing that, take him off pathways when you get to places - onto grass, the beach - anything without lines basically and help him adjust to finding his own way about.

At 22 months it is quite young for a diagnosis but in the event it is accurate then he will probably need a stil to use for relf regulation so unless you can persuade him to use one that is more acceptable to you then it maybe worth letting him have this - it is his way of calming himself when he feels anxious.

• Thank you so much. He does not seem anxious at all I guess he does it for stimulation when out rather than self regulation ( what he used to do at home I.e when tired, ill, bored. Will try your suggestions. Thank you!

He does it still on the grass and in the absense of lines, it is just his peculiar way of looking.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply:)

• Thank you so much. He does not seem anxious at all I guess he does it for stimulation when out rather than self regulation ( what he used to do at home I.e when tired, ill, bored. Will try your suggestions. Thank you!

He does it still on the grass and in the absense of lines, it is just his peculiar way of looking.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply:)

Children
No Data