Driving lessons

Learning to drive is something I've always wanted to conquer. I've had 3 sessions in the past with 2 different instructors. It's just not something I don't think I'll ever be able to do. It doesn't come easy, like most things in life!

The instructions whilst driving are massively hard. I need time to process any kind of instruction, so trying to do this whilst in a car that I'm trying to drive is near impossible. Both experiences have been bad ones and I end up with either massive fear anxiety or I enter a shutdown bubble afterwards.

I've been in search of a suitable driving instructor/company that are compassionate with autistic people, and have the patience! Does anybody have any recommendations?

• Driving is challenging when you are autistic. I was lucky as my Great-grandfather took me out as a youngster to teach me how to drive on private roads. I passed my test first time but this was prior to the theory test. I do hope you find a instructor who will meet your needs and wish you well with passing your test. You never stop learning as a driver but it does give you freedom so enjoy driving.  

• Ah thankyou. I'm not very good at voicing my needs...well I wasn't then anyway! 

• Ah thankyou. I'll have a browse. I never knew this directory existed!

• I had 4 different driving instructors when I was learning and it is a lot to take in, a massive learning curve. I thought I'd never learn either, but surprisingly I did and passed my test on the third attempt. Interview your potential new instructor, tell them exactly what you need and why, what problems you encountered so far and why it's putting you off. For me I was looking for an instructor who had an automatic, the guy I was on the phone with asked me why? So I told him I couldn't look at the gear stick to see what gear I was going to and from and concentrate on what was happening around me. He was gobsmacked that nobody had ever thought to teach me to use the gears whilst the car wasn't moving, so as could feel where I was and needed to go with the gears. It was a revelation, he took me to quiet roads until we both felt confident in my skills to cope with busier traffic and we found that I learn better at night than during the day. He ws the only one who recognised that people aren't born knowing how to drive and it's a learned skill and that as I'd never been a road user before, I can't ride a bike or anything, that I didn't know how to read the road and interact with other traffic. He would also be amazed at the amount of stuff that I had in my handbag for dealing with anxiety, the bottle of rescue remedy, lavender oil and emergency chocolate and that we'd have to stop so as I could use one or more of them after doing something new.

Good instructors do exist, keep trying and don't put up with someone who won't listen and adjust the way they teach to suit your needs.

• Hello @Dani,

I am sorry to hear that you have negative experiences with driving lessons so far. You may want to use our Autism Services Directory to search for driving lessons in your area that cater for people with an autism spectrum disorder. You can find the Directory here: https://www.autism.org.uk/directory 

Many thanks,

ChloeMod