Advice re divulging diagnosis at work

I was hoping I could ask for some advice.

I have been working in my new job since mid-April and have noticed that my work mates have become more and more frosty with me. On Friday, I told one of my colleagues about me having bipolar and she admitted that that could explain a lot about how I behave. She told me that I have come across as stand offish and as if I think I am better than everyone else. The thing is. It is not so much low mood and irritability that is the cause of this appearance. It is my autism.

I did not put down my autism on my job application or occupational health assessment. 

I have a three month meeting with my line manager this Wednesday. And I wondered what advice you would give about being totally open about what is going on. Pretending that it is my bipolar that is causing the problems. Or what?

Many thanks.

Parents
  • I might be wrong but the question was should you disclose to your employer. At this point in time time I would say think very carefully and use what you know about your employer to formulate your decision.

As far as I am aware there is no need to disclose under law but if you think you might need some reasonable adjustments, then it might be a good idea to disclose to your manager . Do not give them permission to disclose or 'out' your autism.

I find myself conflicted as I thought everything would be great if I disclosed and got my adjustments. In reality I am now being actively redeployed to god knows what and told I am incapable of doing my role (nearly 10 years) in a career span of 30 years with the same employer. I'm gutted!

Do some reading of the equality act guidance from the EHRC as I suspect you will have to know your rights in order to get them.

There may be better employers out there unlike mine. I can only give you my lived experience so far.

• Dear Mr T, Thank you for your message. I feel angry about how you have been treated. I'm guessing that the Equality Act is not going to help in your case? I will have a look at the Act thank you.

• I think I might have to go to tribunal and all that entails

Reply Children