This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

We're not really included into city design

Hi ! So we’re a small team trying to launch an app whose primary objective is to raise municipal awareness into including neurodiversity in urban planning and urban design. When I was in university, I noticed that neurodiversity effectively takes very little space into the urban plans, that's why I decided that I would start something after graduating and so here I am ! Thank you for reading Slight smile

For this matter, we would like to look into how to prevent sensory overload when navigating the city for autistic people.

Abstract:

The application is specifically designed for autistic individuals, with the goal of transforming the city to include neurodiversity. Users can leverage the app to review businesses such as cafes, restaurants, and similar establishments, evaluating their friendliness towards autistic individuals. This includes factors such as minimal sensory overload in decor and an open-minded staff. Furthermore, users can seek assistance by clicking a button to report real-time issues within the city, such as construction work or large LED screens that could potentially trigger autistic burnout. 

Key features:

1. Review System: Users can rate and review cafes, restaurants, and public spaces based on their accessibility and comfort for autistic individuals. (eg. Is the staff open? Did anything in the decoration bother you/ could induce an autistic burnout? Do you have recommandations on places where you feel the most comfortable?)

2. Real-Time Alerts: Similar to Waze, users can report and receive notifications about real-time issues such as crowded places or loud noises.

3. Emergency Support: The app offers easy access to emergency buttons, safe spaces, and direct communication with support services.

4. Data Sharing: Anonymized data will be shared with municipalities to improve urban planning and services.

To guide our development of the user interface, we’ve thought about these questions:

(You don’t have to answer each one of them, just the ones that you’d like Blush)

General questions about urban life :

1. Could you describe some of the daily challenges you face while navigating urban environments, particularly in places like cafes, restaurants, or public spaces?

2. How do you typically handle situations involving sensory overload in public places? Are there specific triggers (e.g., loud noises, bright lights) that the app should help you avoid or manage?

3. What factors contribute most to your comfort in public spaces?

On the app:

1.   What specific features would you find most valuable ?

2. Are you currently using any apps or tools to help you navigate the city or manage sensory overload? If so, what features do you find most helpful and why?

3. In situations where you need immediate help or a safe space, what type of support would you expect the app to provide? How would you prefer to access this support?

4. How comfortable are you with providing and reading reviews about businesses? What kind of review system (e.g., star ratings, detailed feedback) would be most effective for you?

5. How important are real-time alerts (e.g., crowded places, construction work) for you? What type of notifications would you prefer (e.g., visual, auditory, vibration)?

6. How do you think an app like this could improve your quality of life and social integration in the city? Can you provide any specific examples of how it might help

7. Is there anything else you’d like to share about your experiences or suggestions for the app that we haven’t covered?

8. Are there any additional features or aspects not mentioned that you believe should be included in the app to better serve autistic individuals?

We would be deeply grateful for your guidance in identifying key issues and pain points in the development of our app.  If you have any relevant links or additional tips, we would be most grateful to receive and learn from them.  Thank you so much for your help ! :D

Parents
  • I would like to refer you to the rules on soliciting input for products like this:

https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules

Rule 10

• Requests for research study subjects and surveys need to be directed to research@nas.org.uk for data protection and research ethics reasons. Further information can be found on our research pages. Please be advised that any requests for research subjects or surveys posted on the Community will be deleted without warning.  
  • I would like to refer you to the rules on soliciting input for products like this:

https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules

Rule 10

• Requests for research study subjects and surveys need to be directed to research@nas.org.uk for data protection and research ethics reasons. Further information can be found on our research pages. Please be advised that any requests for research subjects or surveys posted on the Community will be deleted without warning.  
Children