Isolation and lonliness

1. Is being friendless and isolated common amongst people who are on the autistic spectrum.
  2. What do people suggest, to try and combat this!!
  3. Mick
Parents
  • Yes, it's common.

I think part of the problem can be that we autists also have a tendency to crave solitude, more so than people who are neurotypical.

Although I have found that it's not impossible to form friendships with other people, the time and effort required to maintain friendships can sometimes be an issue.

I have friends who are also autistic, and I've found that it is rare that we are ever in complete synch with each other. It can often be the case that when I'm in the mood for being chatty and sociable, they can often be feeling burned out and wanting to hibernate, sometimes for days or weeks. Then, when they are feeling refreshed, I'm the one who is then in hibernation-mode.

With fellow autists, I think we are more willing to cut each other some slack. Whereas, I think neurotypicals can have difficulty understanding why we may appear to blow hot and cold. It makes no sense to them that we can feel lonely, whilst also craving solitude.

• Yes, it's common.

I think part of the problem can be that we autists also have a tendency to crave solitude, more so than people who are neurotypical.

Although I have found that it's not impossible to form friendships with other people, the time and effort required to maintain friendships can sometimes be an issue.

I have friends who are also autistic, and I've found that it is rare that we are ever in complete synch with each other. It can often be the case that when I'm in the mood for being chatty and sociable, they can often be feeling burned out and wanting to hibernate, sometimes for days or weeks. Then, when they are feeling refreshed, I'm the one who is then in hibernation-mode.

With fellow autists, I think we are more willing to cut each other some slack. Whereas, I think neurotypicals can have difficulty understanding why we may appear to blow hot and cold. It makes no sense to them that we can feel lonely, whilst also craving solitude.

Children
No Data