Help/guidance speaking to doctors please

I don't know who will see this, but if anybody has any tips on how to have the conversation with my (dismissive) doctors about having my assessment put forward, I would be very very appreciative! 4 days left till the appointment and I still dont have a clue how to have the conversation Upside down

I keep thinking and writing lists on what I need to get dine but find myself wasting hours and having nothing to show from it because I have awful environmental anxiety based around doctors and clinical settings! I've had almost 2 months to get everything planned and sorted but the overwhelm has ended up taking over and it's now that the appointment is 4 days away I can feel the anxiety creeping in.

If I can't get a plan of conversation organised I know for a fact the appointment will go to poop. 

I've reached a point of being dismissed and invalidated by my local doctors surgery that I feel " Do Not Listen To Her" is written in bold letters above my name. It sucks because all I want is to improve my quality of life which I deserve as much as anybody else deserves. 

If anybody has a sort of script or sources I could read to better prepare myself that really would be helpful and a massive thank you in advance.

My plan has been to head to the library and print out (an official pre- assessment not just any random one) and other sources i have found where I write notes along side the information to make points for how it relates to me, as I know I just can't rely on my speak and words to come out properly, I figured having printed information may be able to help me get my points across. However, my anxiety has grabbed a hold of this and is telling me they'll take me less seriously if I have printed information I am going by. 

My head hurts! 

Parents
  • Hello - I’m sorry this is so stressful for you - so many on here (including myself) will relate to feeling overwhelmed in medical settings. 
    is this the first time you’ve spoken to your GP about the possibility that you are autistic/asking for an assessment?
    It’s worth keeping in mind that the average GP appointment is only 10 minutes long - so you don’t need loads of information/points - try to keep it relatively simple as that will be helpful to both you and your GP. Also - hopefully - your GP will be familiar with dealing with autistic patients and anxious patients - so nothing that happens in the appointment is likely to be new or unexpected to them. 

I think it’s a great idea that you have had to have something written/printed out to refer to. I would start by saying to your GP : ‘I am very anxious about medical appointments so I have written things down here so that I can be sure to say what I want to say clearly’. Lots of people do this - so don’t worry about using what you’ve written down - even if you simply read out what you’ve prepared - that’s perfectly ok. 

It might be a good idea to write down the 6 main points that you think best reflect why you think you are autistic. For example : “I have sensory issues - I find loud noises very difficult to cope with’ - and give an example. Or: “I find social conversations very difficult’ and give an example. Going point by point - and stick to the main ‘classic’ traits of autism (I’m sure you’re familiar with them!).

You don’t need to worry about ‘getting this right’ - because as long as you’ve clearly written down what you most want to say you can just read it out. The doctor will understand I’m sure, Remember - the doctor is trying to help you. They might not be perfect but most GPs are just trying to do their job as efficiently as they can - they are not interested in judging you - they simply want to do the correct referral etc. 

I struggle hugely with medical appointments too - my anxiety goes through the roof and my head starts to swim. I have sometimes taken my husband with me just so I feel a bit less anxious. Could you take someone with you for a bit of support? 
    Anyway - good luck!

• Hello - I’m sorry this is so stressful for you - so many on here (including myself) will relate to feeling overwhelmed in medical settings. 
    is this the first time you’ve spoken to your GP about the possibility that you are autistic/asking for an assessment?
    It’s worth keeping in mind that the average GP appointment is only 10 minutes long - so you don’t need loads of information/points - try to keep it relatively simple as that will be helpful to both you and your GP. Also - hopefully - your GP will be familiar with dealing with autistic patients and anxious patients - so nothing that happens in the appointment is likely to be new or unexpected to them. 

I think it’s a great idea that you have had to have something written/printed out to refer to. I would start by saying to your GP : ‘I am very anxious about medical appointments so I have written things down here so that I can be sure to say what I want to say clearly’. Lots of people do this - so don’t worry about using what you’ve written down - even if you simply read out what you’ve prepared - that’s perfectly ok. 

It might be a good idea to write down the 6 main points that you think best reflect why you think you are autistic. For example : “I have sensory issues - I find loud noises very difficult to cope with’ - and give an example. Or: “I find social conversations very difficult’ and give an example. Going point by point - and stick to the main ‘classic’ traits of autism (I’m sure you’re familiar with them!).

You don’t need to worry about ‘getting this right’ - because as long as you’ve clearly written down what you most want to say you can just read it out. The doctor will understand I’m sure, Remember - the doctor is trying to help you. They might not be perfect but most GPs are just trying to do their job as efficiently as they can - they are not interested in judging you - they simply want to do the correct referral etc. 

I struggle hugely with medical appointments too - my anxiety goes through the roof and my head starts to swim. I have sometimes taken my husband with me just so I feel a bit less anxious. Could you take someone with you for a bit of support? 
    Anyway - good luck!

Children
No Data