Is this a common experience?

In friendships in the past, I used to believe that if I was not someone's favourite person (or one of their favourites), I was unimportant to them. Or that I could be easily replaced.

I realise now that that feeling was probably a sign that it wasn't going to work out, and I didn't communicate things as clearly.

I wondered if anyone else has felt this.

Parents
  • I definitely have felt this too. It’s a horrible feeling, and sometimes can be confusing… but I’ve come to realise that I am not mentalizing properly and thinking things that aren’t correct. But sometimes the anxieties does get too much. For me also, if I get a thought that I’m not important to someone or they no longer are bothered about me, I get paranoid in wondering what did I do wrong. But again I know it’s bad mentalizing and not communicating. I sort of even get it on this community forum, where I get worried people aren’t interest about me in the way they respond. But I know that is bad mentalizing and it’s properly not true. 
    I’m also learning to try not care so much if someone doesn’t like me or bother with me, and that it’s not my problem.

• I definitely have felt this too. It’s a horrible feeling, and sometimes can be confusing… but I’ve come to realise that I am not mentalizing properly and thinking things that aren’t correct. But sometimes the anxieties does get too much. For me also, if I get a thought that I’m not important to someone or they no longer are bothered about me, I get paranoid in wondering what did I do wrong. But again I know it’s bad mentalizing and not communicating. I sort of even get it on this community forum, where I get worried people aren’t interest about me in the way they respond. But I know that is bad mentalizing and it’s properly not true. 
    I’m also learning to try not care so much if someone doesn’t like me or bother with me, and that it’s not my problem.

Children
No Data