choosing to remaining childless

To have or to have no children: discuss.

I am childless by choice.

Having grown up being told there was something wrong with me

and struggling just to look after myself were the main reasons.

Thoughts?

Parents
  • I've always wanted children but it would be impossible for me to look after a child as I can scarcely look after myself. It's a shame because being a mum is something I've always longed for...there's still time I'm only 21 but I made this decision when I was at school and I won't change my mind. I'm not bringing a child in to this world only to ruin their life. 

I think what you have chosen makes a lot of sense. I would love children but there's no way I could ever ever cope looking after a child, it wouldn't be fair on me or the child.

• I've always wanted children but it would be impossible for me to look after a child as I can scarcely look after myself. It's a shame because being a mum is something I've always longed for...there's still time I'm only 21 but I made this decision when I was at school and I won't change my mind. I'm not bringing a child in to this world only to ruin their life. 

I think what you have chosen makes a lot of sense. I would love children but there's no way I could ever ever cope looking after a child, it wouldn't be fair on me or the child.

Children
  • I quite like spending time with under 5's, they have such a fantstic world view, so literal and the stuff they come out with cracks me up with laughter. I dont' miss squashed banana in my hair or screaming fits though.

• If you like being around children.. is there a place near where you are for autistic children or children in a setting where you could have exchanges with them and enjoy time together, maybe work there, if you can work? A thought.

I used to teach prepubescents and loved it. I made sure I got my 6 hours a day to myself that I really need by living in walking distance to the school. It was a language academy. I got over my fear of children this way too.