Quick question on headphones/ear defenders/noise cancelling headphones

Hi, I have a question, I had been treated as ASD for sometime before I was formally diagnosed as I was in hospital and observed, they used an in house diagnosis alongside my other condition which I went there for obviously.

It was what I must have been observed like  on a ward with like 15 patients at most and staff.

I looked at a patients headphones and tried them on, they was the junior ones in pink. It was suggested by the consultant on the ward I should buy some for myself from observation. Though years before it was pretty much concluded by them.

I did buy some and went for my favourite colour green. However, after use and I think it may have gone in a laundry as the dirt started showing on the headband was affecting me. Also, at times the fit was a bit tight to close for pure comfort .It is not recommended for adults, I am female.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08JYZLZPP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have seen these but they don't fit completely flat as a headband. But, the colour is darker, how much happened in what seemed a secure wash for the headband. A wipe I was thinking might not be that effective.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_2

That led me to think it is  that serious go for defenders and I thought that they would may likely do a good job. However, I was wrong.

I ordered two from Amazon. one for home use and one for outside if needed. You can see them below.

1)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PELTOR-Earmuffs-Military-Headband-H540A-441-GN/dp/B0054PRDR4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2KIF9KDE0W660&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.v4_8uwn7Oe9OfvxBSRrW7xRZpxndPzWlq1vGcxQMvhs259JDMs9XI5qxOqMsPtJsct1NOwWcSKhmydJ9IAj5RNBzpDv2a2kC6dVWZcuKF9H7cs2A8XLO2YlQ8XN-CrEwm9OrsjC_k3ibas1OSgc3s3sbFur3swZuonXmYwApyxwaQeAWhSTXmrqpwD-Mh9aOjAHfdQDnbtPVU2_hHoYp6pqj4m1jahtKql1acJm7vGni4vufkCwZ8rccmVpp0BMN7ogSdy8sWqnBU4SohCekH7_2plEUEicNRX7VjIvR60s.csE30sD3nVyInkJLEeqd_D57HGEc1J6EMutIgZnC6BI&dib_tag=se&keywords=peltor+bullseye&qid=1718131942&sprefix=peltor+bullseye%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-6

2)

www.amazon.co.uk/.../B004RANCEA

They did however not fit right  on my head and that gave ave me headache like symptoms. So, I need to be careful if I will continue in this search. Years ago I used to use headphones without even music on and people would ask often  what I was listening to and I would say no. It was like sometimes I liked being in my own world as well. I still have these Sennisher open headphones with a band and used it quite recently and someone said to me several months ago to try noise cancelling headphones, One person told me in hospital they had that pretty much. How they work I don’t know and well, my question moves on.

I mentioned on this forum that I had like perhaps at least 12  sessions with a sensory OT as it is moderate level 2 for ADOS, I have mentioned before I have some  2's and some 1’s. may be that is average lol, but as a child I would say I was level 2 in the majority of areas. I was remembered in my teens from primary school early days.....mixture of issues going on not known etc. Since testing at times it seems some aspects of stereotyped interests which was pretty much all 2’s has gone up due to stimming more because of  things going on more recently as well.

My question clearly though is are noise cancelling  headphones for Autism would you say as well and are they comfortable, I would more likely think that perhaps it may work, but I am not certain for sure. My underlined question is will the noise cancelling work without music or are they more pointless in that respects..

I am looking for something if I could buy them and I am not at a healthy weight at the moment, about head size, but I am 51 now. I did state that the diagnosis was going on nearly 10 years in house etc. I had it confirmed at 49. As I mentioned it has been going  on since early childhood documented and in memory..

Has anybody used a comfortable pair they may suggest to go from here  or are  the noise cancelling issue not resolvable. I didn't choose to email my last sensory support the last one I had, They though suggested a lot of sensory things when I was seeing them and more. They arrived a couple of times with boxes for me as well which I demoed. I have experience speaking with NHS with other treatment I get as well.

Thank you

i had intended this to be a bit more brief, but more information came to mind as I was typing. Thumbs up as well to Word. Hopefully the typos are gone. Getting later where I live.

Parents
  • Thank you all, I have had another big surprise. I just went onto the Argos website and was so surprised to find the noise cancelling headphones start out more than ear defenders. This is just the beginning of my search and I expected them to be a bit more reasonable when a relative suggested them for me who is partial to saving lol.  I really don't play much  music because of my sensory issues with hearing and I like being wallled in as well at times. It seems like a lot of money for this, butif II can get comfort I am prepared to see what I can really do. I know that we used to at least be able to try things on in Argos, who knows if the rules have changed. I hope not if I  bought sometime from there.

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/noise-cancelling-headphones/category:50002684/opt/page:2/

Lol. last night I fell asleep with my computer on, I was knocked out after taking medicatiion and couldn't turn my computer of.

This has led me to me seeing ear plugs now etc. My eardrums have alwaysbeen to small to use them for comfort in ,my life, so I always go for over the head.

• I'd seriously consider reconditioned or second hand models from eBay etc rather than brand new from Argos / Amazon. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176409068382 for example. This is an older generation of the Sony ones with exceptional noise cancellation and will come in at well under half the price of the xm-4 brand new. The difference between models isn't that big but the difference between an older generation of "best of breed" NC headphones vs. what you'll buy brand new for the same amount now is huge. For example, I used to have a pair of the entry level Sony Noise Cancelling headphones from new. They were something like £70 and the cancellation wasn't even in the same league as the XM-3 which was only another £15 second hand. I know they're all massively expensive for what they are though but it the noise cancellation is key then you get a lot more for your money going reconditioned / second hand.

• I'd seriously consider reconditioned or second hand models from eBay etc rather than brand new from Argos / Amazon. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176409068382 for example. This is an older generation of the Sony ones with exceptional noise cancellation and will come in at well under half the price of the xm-4 brand new. The difference between models isn't that big but the difference between an older generation of "best of breed" NC headphones vs. what you'll buy brand new for the same amount now is huge. For example, I used to have a pair of the entry level Sony Noise Cancelling headphones from new. They were something like £70 and the cancellation wasn't even in the same league as the XM-3 which was only another £15 second hand. I know they're all massively expensive for what they are though but it the noise cancellation is key then you get a lot more for your money going reconditioned / second hand.

Children
No Data