Unmasking Autism after a stroke

I've recently discovered I have high masking autism as a 27 year old woman. I'm going through the diagnostic process and unmasking process. I'm thinking a lot about my parents. We've always known my dad is autistic but assumed mom didn't have it. (Dad was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was in college.)  However, after the three strokes she's had over the last several years, I am a paid caregiver for her and I see lots of autistic traits. It seems like she was very high masking which makes sense because she is an ultra people pleaser and was always very stressed. She  never understood teasing, has hyper empathy, strong values, struggles with volume control. She was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult in her 40s. The strokes have changed her brain a lot and I believe part of that is an inability to mask. She gets upset by behaving differently than she did before. She has lower ability to filter what she says and to do the exhausting tasks she used to push through to please others. She gets irritated and impatient easily and exhausted by certain activities but doesn't understand why. Curious if others have seen autistics lose ability to mask after a stroke or other incident. i used to get mad that she isn't as kind as she used to be, but as I'm trying to unmask myself I see it in her too. 

Parents
  • Curious if others have seen autistics lose ability to mask after a stroke or other incident.

From those I have spoken to on this forum, this sort of experieince comes from accumulated trauma through life - having to deal with a mix of the same old rubbish time and again plus the occassional individual trauma.

As you get older there is also a tendency to stop caring about appearing nice for others as well - you start to value yourself more and drop the pretence.

I think this is what is driving the unmasking - the strokes being recent traumas that are contributing.

• Curious if others have seen autistics lose ability to mask after a stroke or other incident.

From those I have spoken to on this forum, this sort of experieince comes from accumulated trauma through life - having to deal with a mix of the same old rubbish time and again plus the occassional individual trauma.

As you get older there is also a tendency to stop caring about appearing nice for others as well - you start to value yourself more and drop the pretence.

I think this is what is driving the unmasking - the strokes being recent traumas that are contributing.

Children
No Data