Is it common to be called whiney and immature

I got called whiney and immature with a need to grow up and can't get it out of my head it really annoyed. Is it common for a person who has known you for years to say that to you ? Have you been called something similar?

• I got called whiney and immature with a need to grow up

If this is getting to you then I would recommend developing a way to care less about petty insults like this.

I use mindfulness to consider the insult, quickly assess if it is valid or not. If not I ignore it as relevant and blank it (not necessarilty the person) but if it is relevant then I have 2 approaches:

1 - I say "I haden't realised that. I'm sorry and will try to do better".

or

2 - I say "You're right, thank you for making me feel like a real piece of rubbish and compounding my feelings of inadequacy.". A sarcastic tone is required for this one as you are effectively acknowledging it and telling then to go away.

Clearly you need to use them in the appropriate contexts.

• I like some things that are too young for my age group, allegedly, if someone says that to you again tell them you're acting your shoe size not your age. I've been told I'm immature because I like kicking leaves in autumn and collecting conkers, because my politics is still fairly radical and I get involved in causes. I've been told I'm to old for my age because my body will no longer do the thing it used to that someone else wants me to do.

Some people need to get over themselves.

• My advice is to try not to take it to heart.

There have been occasions during my life when I have been told to grow up and act my age by relatives and friends who have known me for years. However, there have also been times in my life when I've had to stop myself from saying the same thing to those people because I have considered their behaviour to be immature.