ADOS Query for an Adult.

So a few weeks back, I was informed that after two and half years my name has come to the top of the list for an adult assessment with the NHS. I was asked for an informant who knew me when approx 5 years old, I replied back that I’m 57 this year and there is nobody suitable.

I received an email back to say that the assessment can still go ahead, I’ve now been placed on a waiting list for an ADOS assessment, I’ve had a look on the internet as to what I can expect, most web pages seem to be for child assessments.

No waiting time has been given and I’m now panicking over what to expect.  Any help  would be appreciated.

Parents
  • The ADOS assessment is a little odd but it’s not at all stressful.

From memory, they made me make up a little story and illustrate it using some random objects from a bag (I did woefully on that). They asked me to flick through a picture book and explain what was going on on each page (the book was quite odd). They asked me to describe a picture they put in front of me. And throughout they tried to engage me in conversation to assess my body language, eye contact, whether I reciprocated social signals and question and answers. It does feel more child appropriate than adult appropriate to be honest.

I think it took just over an hour.

But honestly, it’s nothing to worry about, they will put you at your ease. Just be yourself.

• The ADOS assessment is a little odd but it’s not at all stressful.

From memory, they made me make up a little story and illustrate it using some random objects from a bag (I did woefully on that). They asked me to flick through a picture book and explain what was going on on each page (the book was quite odd). They asked me to describe a picture they put in front of me. And throughout they tried to engage me in conversation to assess my body language, eye contact, whether I reciprocated social signals and question and answers. It does feel more child appropriate than adult appropriate to be honest.

I think it took just over an hour.

But honestly, it’s nothing to worry about, they will put you at your ease. Just be yourself.

Children
No Data