ADOS Query for an Adult.

So a few weeks back, I was informed that after two and half years my name has come to the top of the list for an adult assessment with the NHS. I was asked for an informant who knew me when approx 5 years old, I replied back that I’m 57 this year and there is nobody suitable.

I received an email back to say that the assessment can still go ahead, I’ve now been placed on a waiting list for an ADOS assessment, I’ve had a look on the internet as to what I can expect, most web pages seem to be for child assessments.

No waiting time has been given and I’m now panicking over what to expect.  Any help  would be appreciated.

• With my assessment they wanted to know if I had any early years severe bangs to the head, to rule out brain injury over ASD. They also wanted to get a picture if the traits i display now have been lifelong. If you have factual anecdotes you can share those if you have no sibling/parent or anything to fill out the questionnaire. 

• The ADOS assessment is a little odd but it’s not at all stressful.

From memory, they made me make up a little story and illustrate it using some random objects from a bag (I did woefully on that). They asked me to flick through a picture book and explain what was going on on each page (the book was quite odd). They asked me to describe a picture they put in front of me. And throughout they tried to engage me in conversation to assess my body language, eye contact, whether I reciprocated social signals and question and answers. It does feel more child appropriate than adult appropriate to be honest.

I think it took just over an hour.

But honestly, it’s nothing to worry about, they will put you at your ease. Just be yourself.

• Hi Roy.
    Based on My experience they just want a third party who can vouch for your assessment.
    Don't worry, it is not a neccessity, it just helps.
    If the worst comes to the worst ask Father Christmas for a reference.
    He,s know You for 57 Years.