New diagnosis - next steps

Hi,

I very recently received my diagnosis/confirmation which has been a huge relief and also already answered a lot of questions. During the assessment they picked up that I'm very skilled at masking and how exhausted it makes me feel. It would be nice to try and start breaking down those masking barriers with others but not sure what that will look like. Not sure what I'm asking, but I think I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who's had an adult diagnosis and what next steps I could take. 

Thank you!

Parents
  • Hi

I received my diagnosis last year and to be honest I am still working my way through it. Think of it as the beginning of a new journey of discovery. There will be feelings of loss, guilt and 'what if' and 'if only'.

Try to find some support if you are lucky in your area. Try doing some reading. I found Luke beardom's books to be insightful. Don't expect all the answers to come at once.

Any questions just reach out to this forum and I'm sure people further on in their journey's will offer some advice. Remember each of us is unique in regards to what autism means to us.

• Hi

I received my diagnosis last year and to be honest I am still working my way through it. Think of it as the beginning of a new journey of discovery. There will be feelings of loss, guilt and 'what if' and 'if only'.

Try to find some support if you are lucky in your area. Try doing some reading. I found Luke beardom's books to be insightful. Don't expect all the answers to come at once.

Any questions just reach out to this forum and I'm sure people further on in their journey's will offer some advice. Remember each of us is unique in regards to what autism means to us.

Children
  • Thank you, I think I mostly need to remember that it's "one step at a time" but that isn't my strong point. I think I'll be nervous seeing people for the first time after I tell them about my diagnosis, but not sure why. I'll check those books out too and find a local support group, NAS have a local one. Thanks again!