I have always had an internal voice like a narrator in my head of my own voice

Hi everyone 

Through out my life because of my autism I have always had an internal voice like a narrator in my head of my own voice.  I find it really difficult to switch off as it constantly scripting future conversations with people.  I have try doing mindful activities to make it stop and it make hard to sleep at night.  I was wondering if anyone had advice on it?  

Parents
  • If the voice is the same one that converts the written word, when you read, into an internal pseudo-voice then I think it is fine. It is just a facet of thinking, cognition. In many pre-modern societies people who read without saying the words out loud were considered to be amazing. It is the constant rehearsal of possible future conversations - scripting - that is the autistic thing, and yes it can be very tiresome.

• If the voice is the same one that converts the written word, when you read, into an internal pseudo-voice then I think it is fine. It is just a facet of thinking, cognition. In many pre-modern societies people who read without saying the words out loud were considered to be amazing. It is the constant rehearsal of possible future conversations - scripting - that is the autistic thing, and yes it can be very tiresome.

Children