Childhood memories

Hi can’t think of any fun discussions at the moment but I have come up with this. Are any of you willing to share anything of your good childhood memories? Me one of my best memories was going to Disney world Orlando Florida. My parents took me when I was 10 years old I remember flying from London Gatwick long car journey down but we spent the night at the Hilton hotel somewhere in London and we went for a meal in the harvester. I remember a very long flight to the states and crossing the Atlantic Ocean. I remember asking my mum how long till we get there and how big is the Atlantic and she said it’s the biggest ocean in the world. I know it’s the percific now lol. I loved every moment of being at Disney. Then when I was 15 my parents said we were going to Scotland for Easter half term but then things got confusing. The caravan was having a service done and the dogs went into kennels. My dad said they had rented a cottage that wasn’t dog friendly I thought ok that’s believable. Then we got a taxi to the coach station and I asked why aren’t we driving up my dad said it was to long a drive also believable. Then I seen the tickets and it said to Gatwick so I asked my mum why are we going there she said we were getting another coach to Scotland I should have thought why are we travelling from wales to London to go up to Scotland but I chose to believe her. As the coach left at 5 in the morning my parents told me where we actually going Orlando again and I just screamed with excitement. I love Disney and I’ve been there 4 times twice with my parents and then once on my own after working in Minnesota at a summer camp and once with 2 girls I worked with at summer camp last year. Feel free to share any of your happy childhood memories.

• It’s nice to spend time with your family and friends my parents even though they were maybe to strict with me I was loved and cared for. They did lots of nice things with me when I was growing up. I also had some nice childhood friends as well I used to hang out with the neurotypical kids and they were kind and we had fun but as they got older their interests changed and sadly I had a young mental age we drifted apart. But I have a lot of happy childhood memories I chose America as it was the happiest and I would go there again and again if i could. 

• I remember the joy and surprise of waking up one morning and finding my dolls house had new curtains, sheets, pillows and eiderdowns. All made by my Mum out of old bits and pieces of curtains, sheets and stuffed with cotton wool.

• 18 months old,  baubles and shiny strips of foil dangling from (what I now know to be) a pine tree, which also smelled lovely. Now the 2 sensations are linked, I see or smell one then smell or see the other.

3 yrs old, at crab meadow beach, being left on my own to play and build shapes with sand with no perceived danger present. feeling safe to become absorbed without fear of approaching or impending danger. 

4 yrs old - painting. The rest of the world gone far away.

6-7 years old, walking walking walking alone along the neighborhood roads and into the maple forests, staying alone in the forest for hours. On the way back a lady let me come into her house and she gave me lemonade (or some such) and She was so solicitous and sweet to me. She made me feel good safe and loved. I went by her house often after that. I walked a lot still do.

• One of my strongest childhood memories was when we went to a castle in France. I was obsessed with castles as a kid and we visited loads of them but the one in France was so well-preserved with really massive walls that were lit up at night, and we walked along the walls and explored all of it. In my mind it had banners draped along it but I don't know whether that was my imagination.

What made it really special was they had a Medieval re-enactment festival inside it at night, with knights in armour, jousting, jesters, people dressed up in traditional outfits, etc. I had a very active imagination and it was like a dream come true. I also rode in a horse and cart, and had a bird of prey land on my arm.

• I didn't have anything as exciting as Disneyland. Staying with my aunts in the school holidays was nice. One aunt had a chest freezer and always bought me ice pops. Another aunt let me sleep in the double bed in their guest bedroom and brought me orange juice in the mornings, like I was staying in a hotel, and also cooked me my first ever portion of chow mein. My youngest aunt & uncle asked me to be their bridesmaid when I was 10 and I had my hair styled in an "updo" with flowers in it, just like their grown-up maid of honour.

• Every summer I went to stay with my grandparents in Cornwall for two weeks as they lived too far away to see at other times. They were the only people other than my parents I felt comfortable staying with. My grandad made things with wood so often made me things to play with. Most afternoons we went somewhere in the car mostly to quiet beaches or coastal walks. My grandad showed me my first adder. I loved listening to stories of things he got up to as a child with his brothers. They had a record player set in a big wooden piece of furniture with storage for records below. I enjoyed choosing records to play and often they would put a record on for me to listen to whilst I went to sleep.

At home I enjoyed playing in my child's tent or making things for my dolls. 

• good childhood memories?

probably going random places with parents. holidays to newquay and scotland. and random day trips to places like bolton abbey.