Do any of you have ADD?

If so, how does it affect you?

Parents
  • Yes, I was diagnosed with it 2yrs ago through the NHS right to choose. I’m still dealing with a lot of imposter syndrome around it though- part of me feels like I had a significant genetic propensity towards it, and then getting covid ‘activated’ those genes. It’s really hard to distinguish ADD, ASD, and burnout especially as I cope really well and can do a lot of ‘typical functions’. My mother has adhd as well so a lot of things come from how I was raised. 

A lot of the ADD masks the autism [and contributes to burnout- I actually find the ADD meds I take seem to hide the autism more than the add]. For example, the narrow/intense interests are still narrow and intense, and I struggle to talk about topics that aren’t those, but because my brain is often jumping around and interested in novelty it means I learn a lot about a wide number of things, and can link them in my head to discuss a lot of different things and seem ‘less narrow’. 
    IMO it also makes me way more people pleasing than I would be ‘naturally’ (ie autistic w/o the ADD), I learnt a lot of social skills essentially through punishment- even a quiet discussion around me being too intense or bossy etc triggers the rejection sensitive dysphoria and a desire to compensate. Generally, the more significant a punishment/reward is (to the learner- within their ‘tolerance zone’) the more significant/faster effect it has on their behaviour, so I’ve learnt social skills by getting it wrong 1-2x and my brain punishing me heavily for it rather than taking a bit longer to learn if I was autistic alone. 
    Planning is also a nightmare- basically I’m late for everything because my brain is overwhelmed/struggling with executive functioning and having a ‘routine’ (ADD), but the autistic aspect can ‘cope’ if plans are late, but I’m almost incapable of cancelling because that would be a full ‘plan change’ 

Those are just a few aspects, is ADD something you have noticed in yourself?

• Those are just a few aspects, is ADD something you have noticed in yourself?

It was suggested by several people as a result of a thread I started on the 'This High IQ society-elite group' on Facebook. This is what I said-  

'I often feel like I'm an inferior outlier within the high IQ community. That I can't be genuinely intelligent because of significant difficulties when it comes to executive functioning. Especially organising and planning. This is how I feel, and not the way that anyone has made me feel.
    This may cause eyebrows to be raised but I actually find high range IQ tests easier to do than a multistep task like keeping my flat clean. Sometimes it's like there's 20 TV channels on at once in my brain, each showing a different programme.'

• Yes that describes my experience well. Autism can also cause difficulties with executive functioning, like I said in my other comment there’s a significant amount of overlap, I think the main difference is that my brain finds it hard to ‘settle in’ to a task even once it’s been started.

• Yes that describes my experience well. Autism can also cause difficulties with executive functioning, like I said in my other comment there’s a significant amount of overlap, I think the main difference is that my brain finds it hard to ‘settle in’ to a task even once it’s been started.

Children
No Data