Understanding accents

I have a major problem with being able to decipher accents (ie understand what the person is talking about) and in fact it can lead to major embarrassment and probably cost me a job I had too.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that this is an autistic thing.

Does anyone else find that this is the case and/or have any light to throw on the subject?

Thanks.

Parents
  • I think it’s more of an auditory processing thing, but then auditory processing challenges are common comorbidities with autism. I definitely notice a bit of a ‘lag’ in my brain when speaking to someone with an accent. Do you know any languages aside from English? I’ve been learning Arabic to try and strengthen my brain (challenging the brain can help improve brain fog and protect against dementia!), and also have a bit of basic French and Spanish, and find myself struggling less to understand accents (especially from the same language family). Even if it’s accents in English you’re struggling with, practicing other languages will help strengthen a similar region in your brain.

• I think it’s more of an auditory processing thing, but then auditory processing challenges are common comorbidities with autism. I definitely notice a bit of a ‘lag’ in my brain when speaking to someone with an accent. Do you know any languages aside from English? I’ve been learning Arabic to try and strengthen my brain (challenging the brain can help improve brain fog and protect against dementia!), and also have a bit of basic French and Spanish, and find myself struggling less to understand accents (especially from the same language family). Even if it’s accents in English you’re struggling with, practicing other languages will help strengthen a similar region in your brain.

Children
No Data