Do you struggle to comfort people?

I'm not sure if this an autistic thing or a "me" thing but I am find it really difficult comforting people when they are upset. I find this especially difficult over text (in person less so). I just don't know what to say and when I think I do I end up saying the wrong things a lot of the time. This is particularly true when dealing with friends who have chronic mental health issues. I feel like there's only so much I can say "I'm sorry you're feeling this way" before it sounds like an empty statement. I think sometimes I come across as cold or not understanding when in fact the opposite is true, I just don't know how to show it.

Parents
  • Absolutely can relate. What I have learnt about myself is that I much prefer to receive information, process it internally over a period of time and then respond. Doesn’t matter what the situation is. Unfortunately this makes it difficult for handling situations which require immediate responses.

Recognising this has allowed me to be honest with others by letting them know I’m not good with advice in moments like that, but I’m happy to listen.

I'm a great listener.

But offering support and comfort during difficult times really throws me. I try....but I feel like I just make the situation worse.

• Absolutely can relate. What I have learnt about myself is that I much prefer to receive information, process it internally over a period of time and then respond. Doesn’t matter what the situation is. Unfortunately this makes it difficult for handling situations which require immediate responses.

Recognising this has allowed me to be honest with others by letting them know I’m not good with advice in moments like that, but I’m happy to listen.

I'm a great listener.

But offering support and comfort during difficult times really throws me. I try....but I feel like I just make the situation worse.

Children
No Data