Do you struggle to comfort people?

I'm not sure if this an autistic thing or a "me" thing but I am find it really difficult comforting people when they are upset. I find this especially difficult over text (in person less so). I just don't know what to say and when I think I do I end up saying the wrong things a lot of the time. This is particularly true when dealing with friends who have chronic mental health issues. I feel like there's only so much I can say "I'm sorry you're feeling this way" before it sounds like an empty statement. I think sometimes I come across as cold or not understanding when in fact the opposite is true, I just don't know how to show it.

Parents
  • I just don't know how to show it.

How about being authentic and just tell them "I'm sorry. Let me know how I can help. I'm not great at this sort of stuff but I'm here for you".

That tells them you care, you are willing to help (but they need to ask for it) and they have your support.

Let them come to you with what they need - it makes it a whole lot easer to support them.

• I just don't know how to show it.

How about being authentic and just tell them "I'm sorry. Let me know how I can help. I'm not great at this sort of stuff but I'm here for you".

That tells them you care, you are willing to help (but they need to ask for it) and they have your support.

Let them come to you with what they need - it makes it a whole lot easer to support them.

Children
No Data