Do you struggle to comfort people?

I'm not sure if this an autistic thing or a "me" thing but I am find it really difficult comforting people when they are upset. I find this especially difficult over text (in person less so). I just don't know what to say and when I think I do I end up saying the wrong things a lot of the time. This is particularly true when dealing with friends who have chronic mental health issues. I feel like there's only so much I can say "I'm sorry you're feeling this way" before it sounds like an empty statement. I think sometimes I come across as cold or not understanding when in fact the opposite is true, I just don't know how to show it.

Parents
  • Well, I've learned that when people are upset, they are either looking for advice to solve a problem, or they want emotional support. Those who solve their problem, end up obviously fine. Those who want emotional support, repeatedly come back to talk to you to get emotional support. I mean, you can try to help them, as you have been trying to do, but you might miss the mark, and come across the wrong way, or say the wrong things, and then they'll be more upset. So then maybe you're not the right person that can emotionally support them, and they need the help of a mental health professional. There's only so much you can do.

• Well, I've learned that when people are upset, they are either looking for advice to solve a problem, or they want emotional support. Those who solve their problem, end up obviously fine. Those who want emotional support, repeatedly come back to talk to you to get emotional support. I mean, you can try to help them, as you have been trying to do, but you might miss the mark, and come across the wrong way, or say the wrong things, and then they'll be more upset. So then maybe you're not the right person that can emotionally support them, and they need the help of a mental health professional. There's only so much you can do.

Children
No Data