Blaming NTs

I’m really disappointed in a lot of recent posts which reek of prejudice and blame against “NTs”. it’s as if “NT” has suddenly become a safe word to slur other people with.

”NT’s” are the majority of humanity. They are a hugely diverse bunch. The vast majority of them are just ordinary people having a difficult enough time managing their own lives.

They are not to blame for our individual situations. They didn’t make your life the way it is.

Some of the stuff I’ve seen on here this weekend would’ve been reported to death if it had been directed at other groups.

Please, stop. You have to be better than this.

Parents
  • While I understand this and get it, the thing is that people can and do generalize all the time. It doesn't matter if it's someone who is Autistic or someone who is neurotypical. Both groups do it. It's better to do a nice reminder or ask people to clarify if they are meaning all. It's very difficult to word things for some of us on here and while I'm perfectly willing to say that not all neurotypicals do it, it's a lot to type out at times as well especially when you're trying to get everything out that you want to say. It's like me as an American, I don't take to heart when a British person says "All Americans are crazy.", especially if the person knows me, I know it doesn't apply to me and so I don't take offense to it. I may playfully retort and say "Hey now!" in a bantering manner but I don't take any offense to it. That's the point I'm trying to make is generalization is just a normal thing that people do, Autistic or not, and while it can be frustrating, we all know that it doesn't apply to everyone.

• Btw, my best friend who I have an emotional attachment to is neurotypical and I know he tries his best to be understanding, even though there are times, he gets it and there's times he doesn't. I mean just today I finally got him to understand that whatever he thinks I'm thinking, that's neurotypical thinking and I don't think like neurotypicals so don't assume that something I do is something like he said about me having a "hidden agenda" one time, that I think like that because I don't, that maybe a neurotypical way of thinking but it's not my thinking. Yeah it's a generalization when I say that but that's not prejudice it's just stating a fact that I don't think like a neurotypical person does. It's not meant to be a prejudice at all. If it comes across as such best to point it out and offer better ways of saying things and correct the miscommunication than to just feel someone is prejudiced against neurotypicals. But that's me. We all think differently which is fine but still better to ask for clarification if I'm honest.

• Yeah it's a generalization when I say that but that's not prejudice it's just stating a fact that I don't think like a neurotypical person does. It's not meant to be a prejudice at all. If it comes across as such best to point it out and offer better ways of saying things and correct the miscommunication than to just feel someone is prejudiced against neurotypicals. But that's me. We all think differently which is fine but still better to ask for clarification if I'm honest.

Completely agree!

• Yeah it's a generalization when I say that but that's not prejudice it's just stating a fact that I don't think like a neurotypical person does. It's not meant to be a prejudice at all. If it comes across as such best to point it out and offer better ways of saying things and correct the miscommunication than to just feel someone is prejudiced against neurotypicals. But that's me. We all think differently which is fine but still better to ask for clarification if I'm honest.

Completely agree!

Children
No Data