Shout out to other autistic people with autistic children

I really wanna connect with some other autistic people on here who also have autistic children.

It seems like most people on this forum are either here for their own autism or their kids autism. There doesnt seem to be many with both

I am autistic and so is my son. Sometimes its great because I can understand him and communicate with him in a way no one else in the family can and we have that amazing connection. 

And yet at other times its almost impossible for me because when I need my space or quiet time is when he's at his most intense and demanding or when he's having meltdowns and I have to push through my own crash and sensory overload to be there for him. Its really tough sometimes

Just want to connect with some other autistic parents in my position for a bit of support

Parents
  • Hey Billy 

Could you not do some calming things together to regulate yourself as well as your son? There’s crafts, colouring clay, Lego. I find those things calming as well as my son.
    I am in that same situation. I have 2 boys one of which is autistic. I have been very consistent about being mindful and it helps me to know I’m doing the right thing. I do have my moments but I just take myself away for 15 minutes or use my meditation app to refresh. I understand your bond with your son and it’s truly amazing. I have never felt so connected to someone than I do with mine. We have only known about the autism for around 7 months and he’s 9 and I only realised I am too because of how similar we are. It’s been tough trying to make sense of it all but I love being different and am quite proud of my differences. 
    That’s not to say that life can’t be a struggle. 

Nice to meet you and I hope you find your balance 

• Hey Billy 

Could you not do some calming things together to regulate yourself as well as your son? There’s crafts, colouring clay, Lego. I find those things calming as well as my son.
    I am in that same situation. I have 2 boys one of which is autistic. I have been very consistent about being mindful and it helps me to know I’m doing the right thing. I do have my moments but I just take myself away for 15 minutes or use my meditation app to refresh. I understand your bond with your son and it’s truly amazing. I have never felt so connected to someone than I do with mine. We have only known about the autism for around 7 months and he’s 9 and I only realised I am too because of how similar we are. It’s been tough trying to make sense of it all but I love being different and am quite proud of my differences. 
    That’s not to say that life can’t be a struggle. 

Nice to meet you and I hope you find your balance 

Children