Shout out to other autistic people with autistic children

I really wanna connect with some other autistic people on here who also have autistic children.

It seems like most people on this forum are either here for their own autism or their kids autism. There doesnt seem to be many with both

I am autistic and so is my son. Sometimes its great because I can understand him and communicate with him in a way no one else in the family can and we have that amazing connection. 

And yet at other times its almost impossible for me because when I need my space or quiet time is when he's at his most intense and demanding or when he's having meltdowns and I have to push through my own crash and sensory overload to be there for him. Its really tough sometimes

Just want to connect with some other autistic parents in my position for a bit of support

Parents
  • Just read your post and it really resonates with me as I find myself in a similar situation.

Im pretty sure you already know how difficult it can be!

When my son is having a meltdown or having a challenging time it’s extremely triggering for me as I will find it really difficult to deal with and especially if we’re are out in public which I really struggle with as I’m very awkward socially. In these situations I will always push myself and try to be the most loving and caring parent that I can be and I will just persevere and put his needs above my own in that moment which is easier said then done I know.

But the special bond I have with him such as our love of football and are similar dry sense of humour or having a cuddle watching the Simpsons, these special moments will always outshine them difficult and rubbish ones which is something I try to remind myself daily.

Just keep going, doing what your doing, I’m sure your already doing a good job!

• Just read your post and it really resonates with me as I find myself in a similar situation.

Im pretty sure you already know how difficult it can be!

When my son is having a meltdown or having a challenging time it’s extremely triggering for me as I will find it really difficult to deal with and especially if we’re are out in public which I really struggle with as I’m very awkward socially. In these situations I will always push myself and try to be the most loving and caring parent that I can be and I will just persevere and put his needs above my own in that moment which is easier said then done I know.

But the special bond I have with him such as our love of football and are similar dry sense of humour or having a cuddle watching the Simpsons, these special moments will always outshine them difficult and rubbish ones which is something I try to remind myself daily.

Just keep going, doing what your doing, I’m sure your already doing a good job!

Children