Sensory Trauma - Want to Know Others Thoughts

So I was looking up sensory trauma and I found that it is something that I deal with and I wanted to know what other Autistics think of it and if it’s something that you’re glad they are bringing to light or if you feel it doesn’t apply to you. Just wanting to see what others think. I personally feel it’s a good thing to be raising awareness about because while things may not be as big of a deal to our fellow neurotypicals it is for us because of how we have a different “wiring” for lack of a better term.

Parents
  • Yes I completely relate to sensory trauma, school for example is a huge cause of sensory trauma. 

Below I have linked to a very informative video by Aucademy about sensory trauma:

https://www.youtube.com/live/l_uoRDCUF80?si=utrXaZi1YjeAbaWg

• School was very traumatic for me as well. I was bullied a lot and all I wanted was for it to stop and it was like no one cared that it was hurting me and my reactions to it were treated much worse than the bullying itself.

• I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience at school. I completely understand though. Schools are very unfriendly for autistic people. It's such an isolating time and with that and the bullying it leaves you traumatised.

I think all of my sensory trauma came from when I was at school. The sheer amount of noise was intolerable from the start and I used to struggle with it on a daily basis. School dress code for girls was to have your hair tied up but I often broke this so I could keep headphone in, it didn't stop the noise, but it did lessen its intensity and that helped a little.

I loved and hated school. I loved learning, I've always loved learning and it usually comes easy for me. I'm a fast learner. I loved the routine of school, it was so organised and that worked well for me because I'm an organised person. But I hated the other kids because they were loud, unorganised and generally made my time at school utterly miserable. School for me was simply put: torture! I had to mask harder than ever, do my best not to be noticed so I wouldn't be bullied and still got bullied. Terrible from start to finish, really. 
  • I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience at school. I completely understand though. Schools are very unfriendly for autistic people. It's such an isolating time and with that and the bullying it leaves you traumatised.

I think all of my sensory trauma came from when I was at school. The sheer amount of noise was intolerable from the start and I used to struggle with it on a daily basis. School dress code for girls was to have your hair tied up but I often broke this so I could keep headphone in, it didn't stop the noise, but it did lessen its intensity and that helped a little.

I loved and hated school. I loved learning, I've always loved learning and it usually comes easy for me. I'm a fast learner. I loved the routine of school, it was so organised and that worked well for me because I'm an organised person. But I hated the other kids because they were loud, unorganised and generally made my time at school utterly miserable. School for me was simply put: torture! I had to mask harder than ever, do my best not to be noticed so I wouldn't be bullied and still got bullied. Terrible from start to finish, really. 
Children
No Data