Burnout causing physical illness

Is actual physical illness resulting from autistic burnout and overwhelm a real thing?

Every time I start a new job, I come down with illness within a couple of weeks, usually a viral type thing, fever, shivering, chest pains, sickness, that sort of things. 

I always get very overwhelmed starting a new job and experience severe crashes. Last few jobs I have taken on while battling a pretty severe burnout

I know stress can make you ill but overwhelm and burnout causing actual physical illnesses and virus is different. Maybe its cos my immune system is down from the destress I am experiencing? 

It would be really helpful to hear from other people who may have had similar experiences 

Parents
  • I think it is. I have had similar experiences where I was so exhausted and burnt out, I thought I had the flu but it was utter exhaustion. I also think I get sick more often when burnt out, maybe I am more susceptible then... and the biggest one for me is that my IBS flares up and I loose weight when I am depressed and burntout... 

I'm not an expert at all in this field but I had a quick google and there seems to be a link between stress and the immune system. Here is one such recent study: Brain motor and fear circuits regulate leukocytes during acute stress | Nature 

• I think it is. I have had similar experiences where I was so exhausted and burnt out, I thought I had the flu but it was utter exhaustion. I also think I get sick more often when burnt out, maybe I am more susceptible then... and the biggest one for me is that my IBS flares up and I loose weight when I am depressed and burntout... 

I'm not an expert at all in this field but I had a quick google and there seems to be a link between stress and the immune system. Here is one such recent study: Brain motor and fear circuits regulate leukocytes during acute stress | Nature 

Children
No Data