Healthy outlook > Mortality

Sorry if this is an upsetting topic for some (myself included).

I really struggle this the "D word" - I find it pre-occupies my mind progressively more so as I get older, and it's always been a topic which I hate / fear - if I overthink it I can get into something of a panic.

So I'm interested - how would you describe your relationship with this topic?

I'm wondering if its an autistic trait, and whether anyone has been able to develop a healthy outlook on the topic, and if so how. 

Parents
  • The D word is on my mind a lot. I lost my sister at a young age and it was horrible to see. She suffered and you could see it and ever since then I've thought about it a lot. The idea of my own D word doesn't bother me so much, I'll be at peace them so that's something that actually brings me a comfort. My parents though, the idea of losing them terrifies me and caused my mental health problems to start a few years ago. I struggle to process it.

• The D word is on my mind a lot. I lost my sister at a young age and it was horrible to see. She suffered and you could see it and ever since then I've thought about it a lot. The idea of my own D word doesn't bother me so much, I'll be at peace them so that's something that actually brings me a comfort. My parents though, the idea of losing them terrifies me and caused my mental health problems to start a few years ago. I struggle to process it.

Children
  • Sorry to hear about your sister, that must have been so tough for you and your family.

I know what you mean about parents also, I had a difficult relationship with them (my mum certainly, as she had an alcohol dependency).  I was always very fearful of anything relating to their health.

As I've had my own family and am a bit older now, I found I worry more about my wife / kids of course.  It makes me feel guilty at times that I neglect to think about my parents enough... I find spending time with them and seeing how old they are quite difficult I have to say.