Taking a compliment

I’ve never known how to take a compliment. Whenever anyone says anything nice about me, no matter how minor, I just stare blankly, lost for words. I have no clue what to say. This happens even if it’s written in an email or on a forum like this.

Just a feature of my personality or something that is common for autistic people?

Parents
  • I have always struggled with compliments which I now think is part of my black and white thinking - it never made any sense to me that I could get constantly criticised by people (basically for my lack of intuition) in any social situation and then be complimented by those same people. I think I dislike general compliments the most and am much better if it is much narrower and more specific so it makes sense. Otherwise it just feels untrue and made up.

• I have always struggled with compliments which I now think is part of my black and white thinking - it never made any sense to me that I could get constantly criticised by people (basically for my lack of intuition) in any social situation and then be complimented by those same people. I think I dislike general compliments the most and am much better if it is much narrower and more specific so it makes sense. Otherwise it just feels untrue and made up.

Children
No Data