Taking a compliment

I’ve never known how to take a compliment. Whenever anyone says anything nice about me, no matter how minor, I just stare blankly, lost for words. I have no clue what to say. This happens even if it’s written in an email or on a forum like this.

Just a feature of my personality or something that is common for autistic people?

Parents
  • It depends. If I know the person fairly well and I can believe that they're saying it because they mean it and they want me to do well, then there's more chance that I'll take it, and say thank you.

If I'm hurting (for whatever reason) and someone tries to lift my spirits, then it's hard for me to not want to go "thanks but I don't believe you".

The saying thank you thing is only something I've made a habit of doing since last year. 

• It depends. If I know the person fairly well and I can believe that they're saying it because they mean it and they want me to do well, then there's more chance that I'll take it, and say thank you.

If I'm hurting (for whatever reason) and someone tries to lift my spirits, then it's hard for me to not want to go "thanks but I don't believe you".

The saying thank you thing is only something I've made a habit of doing since last year. 

Children