Applying for work

Hi I'm new here and I'm autistic. I've been looking for work for some time but so far no luck at all. I did do some volunteer work, it was working with children which I absolutely loved but sadly the said preschool closed down due to lack of funds.

I can at least put it on my CV though, hopefully will be an advantage when applying for work!

One of my biggest problems is I've got hardly anything on my CV as I was unable to finish school so I have no grades etc and I think this is why I rarely get chosen for jobs. It's a collosal pain and I'm unsure what to do about it.

I've seen my local Morrison's is now hiring again and they state they are an equal opportunities employer so should be willing to hire an autistic person like me.

I hope...

I've been on benefits all of my life but I'm nearing 30 and feeling in a great place within myself and I think I can work now. I had a mental breakdown a couple of years ago but I'm over that now as well.

I miss out on so much life and living and I'm hoping this job will be a new start for me, if I can get it. I did better than I thought I would when volunteer at the preschool, I masked a lot but overall I did all right I think. The people in charge said they would be more than willing to give me an excellent reference if I applied for work again in the future.

So I've got that working in my favour also. Slight smile 

If you've got any advice for applying for work and more importantly actually coping during an interview I would appreciate you letting me know. 

My biggest problem in interviews is that I get very hot and can come over bad, which is always embarrassing to say the least!

Thanks in advance! Slight smile

Parents
  • I recommend that you volunteer at a local charity or in a shop...you clearly need some experience to add to your CV. Also consider returning to college and doing some courses, as most jobs these days require a basic English and Maths GCSE. Many companies now are classed as 'Disability Confident' or an 'Equal Opportunities' employer but you do still need experience and qualifications for 99% of paid employment. You need to think about all the other people that will also apply for the job and everything they bring to the job, in terms of the information on their CV. It is a competitive world out there and yes it can be unfair at times that you don't get selected or offered a job, but it's how it works.

• I recommend that you volunteer at a local charity or in a shop...you clearly need some experience to add to your CV. Also consider returning to college and doing some courses, as most jobs these days require a basic English and Maths GCSE. Many companies now are classed as 'Disability Confident' or an 'Equal Opportunities' employer but you do still need experience and qualifications for 99% of paid employment. You need to think about all the other people that will also apply for the job and everything they bring to the job, in terms of the information on their CV. It is a competitive world out there and yes it can be unfair at times that you don't get selected or offered a job, but it's how it works.

Children
No Data