Age regression / age inappropriate behaviour

So recently someone I know told me that their doctor had told them one of their symptoms was age regression.

I actually had to look this up to be sure. Apparently it’s a psychological response, it’s quite rare, that’s associated with some mental health conditions, where a person will take on childlike qualities and behaviour and sometimes start acting or believing they are a child. Now every time a mental health professional accuses this person of behaving childishly they remind them that age regression is one of their diagnosis symptoms. This person is autistic but has a ton of mental health conditions on top of that.

However it got me thinking. I am often accused of being childish or immature. Of not acting my age. A lot of autistic people are painted rightly or wrongly as being Peter Pan types. It is perhaps ironic; like many other autistic people as a child adults said that I made a better adult than a child. Too serious, too linguistically precociously, too formal. And now as adults we’re too immature, not self-aware enough, not serious enough. The expectations have shifted from one side to the other and I’ve stayed the same or more the same than people expected.

So todays topic for debate. If not age regression; more generally is age inappropriate behaviour a symptom of autism? And if it is a natural aspect of autism to what extent should society be expected to accept and include it?

Here are some things to consider:

• Age inappropriate behaviour includes public / social age inappropriate behaviour.
  • Age inappropriate hobbies and activities will mean you spend a lot of time with people from different age groups
  • Organisations, restricting, penalising or discouraging age inappropriate behaviour are probably breaking age discrimination law in most cases.
Parents
  • What's wrong with spending time with people of different age groups? I thought it was healty to mix with a wide range of people, traditional communities are all based around all ages mixing together, is this another case of normal behaviour being pathologised?

• That was my interpretation, but I think this post is something that has to do with trauma - emotional or physical.

• These days ages mixing, at least as peers, is viewed as a bit weird/ subversive. For example the very existence of 18-30 holidays. Ask the average 18 y/o when is too old to go clubbing most say between 30-35.

and I’m not talking exclusively about trauma. I’m talking about some degree of age incongruity arising out of autism. I’m just using trauma as an example of how mental health isSue’s can give rise to age ‘inappropriate’ behaviour.

Hypothetical example. A mature student turns up to the student pub crawl in fancy dress acting as loud and rowdy as all the young foke. Or a 35y/o guy turns up at the local kpop fan club which is mostly girls 18-21 and is keen to join the dance class.

• Right! which is why I added that: Autistics mature slower than non-autistic peers specifically due to how humans 'mature into civilised beings'. I say this with quotes because mature and civilised are sometimes wobbly words with different ideas as to what they mean.

I have dificulty with the notion of adults being 'civalised.' I would probably say more 'domestiated,' like pets, by sociaty.

Freud, Jung, Lacan and so on all noted that Autistics weren't creating Defence Mechanisms.

And since I don't know that much about freud, jung or lacan I didn't really understand any of what you said. my background reading in psycology has all been cognitive psychology (post 1960s). None of the old stuff beyond very limited history of psycology stuff.

• Right! which is why I added that: Autistics mature slower than non-autistic peers specifically due to how humans 'mature into civilised beings'. I say this with quotes because mature and civilised are sometimes wobbly words with different ideas as to what they mean.

I have dificulty with the notion of adults being 'civalised.' I would probably say more 'domestiated,' like pets, by sociaty.

Freud, Jung, Lacan and so on all noted that Autistics weren't creating Defence Mechanisms.

And since I don't know that much about freud, jung or lacan I didn't really understand any of what you said. my background reading in psycology has all been cognitive psychology (post 1960s). None of the old stuff beyond very limited history of psycology stuff.

Children
No Data