Listening and communicating at work -help please

Hi there, 

I’ve just had a catch up with my boss, and she said that she notices often when I have conversations with her and others, when I relay the conversation back either verbally or in an email, it’s not accurate of what was said in the conversation. I haven’t told my work I have autism, however I feel especially at work when I talk to someone, I’m trying so hard to think of what to say next or I’m just trying to nod in the right places etc that I don’t fully understand what someone is saying. I’ve agreed to take notes during every conversation to help with this, but does anyone else have the same issue and if so, is there anything you have used that has helped you? Many thanks, Ellie

Parents
  • Hi Ellie, I struggle with this too. I think it's a common autism thing. I would suggest you tell your work that you are autistic so that they can support you better. Maybe, if they know you're autistic, you might not need to mask as much and then you'll have more energy to concentrate on what they are saying. 

Try the note taking suggestion, you might find it helps. I take notes in meetings and I find it helps me to understand better but it is also mentally draining and my team support me by taking regular breaks, checking that I've noted down anything really important and letting me double check my understanding if I've "drifted off" a bit (not that I fall asleep, I dissociate a lot).

Other things that I find helpful are:

Having conversations in a quiet space with less distractions.

Asking people to speak one at a time so that I can follow more easily.

Sorry that's not much help, I haven't worked it out myself yet so I'll be watching your post to see if anyone has any other ideas.

• Hi Ellie, I struggle with this too. I think it's a common autism thing. I would suggest you tell your work that you are autistic so that they can support you better. Maybe, if they know you're autistic, you might not need to mask as much and then you'll have more energy to concentrate on what they are saying. 

Try the note taking suggestion, you might find it helps. I take notes in meetings and I find it helps me to understand better but it is also mentally draining and my team support me by taking regular breaks, checking that I've noted down anything really important and letting me double check my understanding if I've "drifted off" a bit (not that I fall asleep, I dissociate a lot).

Other things that I find helpful are:

Having conversations in a quiet space with less distractions.

Asking people to speak one at a time so that I can follow more easily.

Sorry that's not much help, I haven't worked it out myself yet so I'll be watching your post to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Children
No Data