Communication

Does anyone here find talking to people hard work? I feel like my self talk is constantly working over time trying parse what the other person is saying, and then I'm telling myself that they may be trying to tell me something different or that a smile or facial expression can mean loads of things. Sometimes I have to tell myself to just listen. If I am in a group of people it's terrible, like people are speaking in tongues and there too many conversations going on at the same time.

I had the first part of an autism assessment recently and haven't been back for the second part because they kept saying I was too verbally fluid and used gesture. Even though if anyone knew me from childhood they would say I was extremely quiet, which I am, unless you engage me in a topic I know about. I think I have fairly limited gestures as opposed to other people aswell.

As an adult in my 40's I think I have managed to learn loads of ways to deal with things I find difficult.

I wondered if anyone else has a similar experience? Debating whether to continue on the diagnosis journey, or take a route that is less NHS.

Parents
  • I'm terrible at being put on the spot with questions i'm unprepared for, so it was really important to me that I thoroughly documented examples that meant i didn't have to rely on my speech.

• Do you ever feel like if you are put on the spot, and you answer but you didn't answer correctly, or in a way that you actually believe, the person will run with it and it is way too complicated to fix? 

Example: i was in a bar with someone once and they asked me a question and I said "I don't like people", what I meant was "I find people exhausting so I limit my time around them". The person I was with had coded the first response and the conversation was going wrong so I gave up. 

• I find people exhausting

I can too.

im not too bad at 1 to 1 but in groups I fall to bits. I really struggle to cope with to much noise. My brain doesn’t seem to be able to keep up and I constantly get told I’m way behind in the conversation. Add to that some music and I have to head to the bathroom for regular intervals. I’m interested in knowing what any of you recommend in preparation for an assessment? I’m really worried that I mask so well that I won’t be taken seriously. 

• It did not do that to me.

Damn, everything seems to change for the worst... I'll stop recommending that one and see if I can find another one.

I liked that one because it turned out to score me within a percent or so the same as the NHS questionaire.

Really glad for the heads-up. I'm afraid whether you let them take that penny is up to you.  

• By the way I Sperg

Were you the guy restoring the motorbike? Did we chat about that a while ago?

If so how’s it going? 

• Do the online aspergerstestsite.com first, then when he says "you can't possibly be Autistic" like mine did, ask him, "why do I score so highly then?"

Thanks for that I Sperg

I did it but when I try to download it wants to charge me 1p. I’m worried I’m signing up to something. Is it safe and a one off payment? 

Im not being tight honest,  just get caught out with things sometimes. Ha ha 

• "I would rather go to a library than to a party"

Sometimes there's a good one in these quizzes. LOL

Reply Children
No Data